cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: FTTP Issue - 'you have told us your fault was fixed'. No I haven't.

Thank you pippincp

These acronyms are wasted on me. FVA? UPS?

Regards.

Davco

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

@Davco 

You can bypass the battery backup unit, as they are not fitted any more, and can give problems, so try doing that first, as it may fix the problem.

There have been a number of reports about failing ONT power units, so that could be an issue.

Also check that the Ethernet cable from the ONT port 1, to the red port on the home hub, is fully located. It should be clicked in place, and held there with a retaining clip.

If that clip is missing or broken, then you will get an intermittent connection, which would explain the flashing port 1 light.

Message 13 of 20

FVA=Fibre Voice Access.  A way of providing a phone line over fibre, using the TEL1 socket on the ONT.

UPS=Uninterruptible Power Supply unit. Provides power during a loss of mains supply.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

@Keith_Beddoe 

Thanks Keith

Other than bypassing the battery backup (which I'll now try) I've checked all of the other things you mention.

I'd have thought they would be fundamental checks the engineer should have done when he was here. The only thing he did, apart from confirming there was a fault as soon as he came through the door, was to 'reboot' the battery backup, which I now gather from yourself and @pippincp was never going to make any difference.

I guess I'll just have to wait and hope that engineer #2 can sort it out. It's the 'you have told us your fault was fixed' that I find particularly galling.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

The flashing light on port 1 could indicate a problem with the home hub. Have you tried a factory reset of the home hub?

You would normally expect the lights to change on the home hub if there is a problem with the connection between the ONT and the home hub. I assume there is no change on the home hub lights, is that correct?

Do you have another Ethernet cable that you could try between the ONT and the home hub, it does not have to be a red one?

Ethernet cable connections are only crimped, and its not unknown for then to make a bad connection.

I am surprised that the engineer (technician) did not try changing this cable.

Message 16 of 20

I forgot to say 'engineers'... as there were two of them and neither checked the connections.
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 20

It does make you wonder what training, if any, they receive, and why they did not carry a spare home hub.

Before I retired, I used to work on business customer equipment, and it was necessary to be very thorough, and to carry spares, so that service was restored, otherwise there was a financial penalty.

Message 18 of 20

@Keith_Beddoe 

Thanks Keith

I really appreciate your help. I think I'm just going to have to sit it out and hope the 'new' engineer gets me up and running properly soon. 

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 20

Why don't you try the direct to ONT setup I suggested and provided instructions for? If it is a hub problem then it will be resolved and you can continue broadcasting whilst the issue s resolved.

From what you have said it sounds like you had useless Qube engineers attend rather than an Openreach one. Not that an Openreach engineer could sort out a hub issue.

@Keith_Beddoe  may well have carried spare modems etc in the past but Openreach deal with so many companies now it is impractable. They do not carry ISP supplied equipment.

Message 20 of 20

Thank you @pippincp 

I have received confirmation that an Openreach engineer will be with me this afternoon. I'll leave things as they until he visits.

If he can't resolve the issue on this visit I will certainly try your suggestion.

I'm not due to broadcast now until tomorrow evening so I do have some breathing space.

Thanks for your support and advice. It is appreciated.

Davco

0 Ratings