cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 34

Re: Fibre 2 Speeds Still Capped at Fibre 1

Go to solution

Yes. The router has been plugged into the master socket since day 1. No other phone extensions in the house.

I don’t use the landline and have no corded or cordless phones.

Yes. The router briefly dropped out when I signed into the BT website. It had previously been up for several weeks.

My BT says I’m on the Fibre 2 package. I was previously on Fibre 1 for a considerable length of time. Still getting the Fibre 1 speeds, though.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 34

Go to solution

your attainable speed from your stats is low compared to dslchecker results and with drops in connection it may be there is a line problem but you can only check using a phone on landline which is the most basic check for broadband problems

as I said with up speed above 10mb suggests fibre 2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 34

Go to solution

One of my neighbours fixes aerials, broadband and Sky. I’ll ask him to pop across with a phone later on. I’ll let you know how it goes. There’s still an unplugged BT phone cable coming through the wall close to the master socket.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 34

Go to solution

Rang BT again and got an advisor who admitted that my speeds are too low. However, she put me through to tech support who ran various tests and informed me that there is no fault on the line and a speed test result was 51/11 which is perfect for my connection. I’ve now been kept on Fibre 2 discounted to the Fibre 1 price.

She said that previous speed estimates with all providers were too high and have now all been changed to reflect accurate line speeds. I used to get in the region of 77/20 on several speed test sites until fairly recently.

I’m still unsure what to do next. Have got a hot ear from being on the phone so long!

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 34

Go to solution

Can’t work out how to edit my previous post.

Have ordered a corded telephone online so I can do the quiet line test. Will be with me tomorrow. 
If it’s silent, then it’s looking like I’ll have to accept the current speeds. They’re still excellent compared to the old days of dial-up!

Thanks for everyone’s help so far 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 34

Go to solution

The advisor was talking nonsense, as your hub stats show, your line is capable of at least 63M but is capped at 55M either due to DLM action caused by a line fault or misprovision.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 34

Go to solution

Thanks for replying. I’ve rung BT twice since upgrading to Fibre 2, but they are insistent that I’m wrong about my speeds. I’m fairly clued up on broadband due to reading sites like Think Broadband.  I only wish that I’d taken screenshots of some of the excellent speeds I used to get from BT and others not too long back.

Im hoping now that the quiet line test is noisy and I can raise a line fault. If not, then where next? Even with the 14 day cooling off, I would still be in contract for a long time to come.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 34

Go to solution

Have received my corded phone and performed the quiet line test in the test socket a few minutes ago.  No crackles or pops. Silent apart from a barely audible hum. 

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 34

Go to solution

It should be totally silent, the hum could indicate an earth fault on one leg of the line.

Try reporting the fault, if no success post back and we'll see if we can get the mods involved.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 34

Go to solution

Thanks for helping out. I’ll get on and report a possible line fault. Will let you know if I have any success with them or not.

0 Ratings