Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeanD
Community Manager - Retired
Message 21 of 34

Re: Full Fibre 900 package and my existing phone line

Go to solution

@RayP wrote:

The copper line will be discontinued by OpenReach. That's been confirmed by BT. The information on this page is no longer correct and needs updating.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Full-Fibre-from-BT-Your-questions-answered/td-p/20025...

Also, this Alexa digital phone will only work with the BT hub so my existing TP-Link becomes useless.

I accept that technology moves on but losing my copper line has come as a shock especially when the above link suggests it won't.

Can someone from BT please notify the author of that page that it contains erroneous information that needs correcting asap.

Good morning @RayP,

Thanks for the post.  I am sorry that the article I have published had incorrect info in its contents.  I have now updated this to remove the erroneous information and I have included a link to more faqs about BT's Digital Voice service.

Sorry for any confusion caused.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 34

Go to solution

Morning @SeanD  There is still a slight error in the post.

Will my existing hub work on Full Fibre?

Only if you have a fibre compatible BT Hub – these can be easily identified by the red WAN port on the back.

The SH2 with the latest firmware has the ability to switch LAN port 4 to a WAN port.

Message 23 of 34

Go to solution

@SeanD , thanks for doing that even though it was too late when I made my decision.

Installation today. Hopefully it all goes smoothly. I can’t help feeling this digital phone service that requires a OpenReach modem and power to operate is a backward step over the old but simpler copper wire that would still work in a power cut.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 34

Go to solution

@SeanD , I notice that the question about the existing copper landline has been removed. How does that clarify things? The question needs to be reinstated and the answer provided.

You will lose your landline. Clear and concise. As it stands people haven’t a clue what the situation is.

0 Ratings
SeanD
Community Manager - Retired
Message 25 of 34

Go to solution

Thanks, @licquorice,

I have updated the FAQ and removed this section, 'these can be easily identified by the red WAN port on the back.'

I am awaiting some info from the Full Fibre team on this particular answer so I will look to add further info once I know more.

@RayP  Sorry about that, I have added the FAQ about the existing landline and a further question about why BT is upgrading to Digital Voice.  

Good luck with the installation today and if you need any help please post back here.

Cheers

Sean

Message 26 of 34

Go to solution

Hi @SeanD , thanks for reinstating the copper line question.

The install took over 2 hours as a cherry-picker was needed as the installer couldn’t walk on a flat garage roof. H&S gone mad just about covers that.

Speeds on an Ethernet connected PC went over 850Mbps download. The OR engineer said he’d never seen such a fast speed. I’m the only property connected to the Full Fibre box on the telegraph pole.

Smart Setup isn’t very smart as I suspected. It chose the most congested channels used by the SkyQ box. Fortunately I was able to change the channel to a less busy one. As notified a separate SSID cannot be created so I’m unable to link my devices to my preferred frequency. Feed that back to the people who make these decisions please. I’m competent and can manage that myself. Anything with a prefix of Smart is a sure sign it’s anything but.

My smart TV and music streamer are both 5Ghz compatible but SS put them on the 2.4 frequency. I’m going to setup the disc tomorrow and with it in the lounge and 2 metres from the kit they’ll hopefully switch to 5Ghz.

All my Wi-fi devices are now running on the new network including a solar inverter which is the worst to setup.

My landline is still working. I’ll setup the digital one in the next day or so.

Message 27 of 34

Go to solution

@RayP wrote:

Hi @SeanD , thanks for reinstating the copper line question.

Smart Setup isn’t very smart as I suspected. It chose the most congested channels used by the SkyQ box.

That isn't Smart Setup, its Smart Wireless. You also need to disable Smart Setup if not already done so, it is a separate option on the front page of the hub manager.

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 34

Go to solution

@licquorice , many thanks. Smart Setup now disabled. I’m going to add the disc to the system tomorrow.

More then.

Message 29 of 34

Go to solution

Slightly different issue. I've paired the Wi-Fi Disk to the hub via ethernet and taken it downstairs. It's in clear sight on the hub if you ignore the ceiling. Solid blue light indicating all is well.

But on the HH Manager - My Network the Wi-Fi disks count shows zero. The Disk shows as active. I'm wondering if that count is only for ethernet connected devices. Could anyone confirm that please?

Also, via Wi-Fi on my iPad connecting to SpeedTest.net my download speed is around 100Mbps - the same as the upload speed. That seems strange. Using an ethernet connected PC I'm getting 864/111.

I appreciate wi-fi won't deliver the same speeds but I didn't anticipate such a disparity especially when the iPad is within 3 metres of the Disk. Thoughts?

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 34

Go to solution

The best you will get on 2.4GHz is around 100Mbps. To get higher you will need to be on 5GHz. I have full fibre from Truespeed (alternate fibre provider in Somerset), and get 500Mbps down/900Mbps up (yes asymmetric the other way..) on an Ethernet connection from the router to my laptop.

I can be in the same room as the router and get max 100Mbps on 2.4GHz, but get c.500Mbps down/up on 5GHz. Throughput drops off through the house on both with WiFi.

As an example - upstairs and the other side of the house from the living room I get 40Mbps down/up on 2.4GHz and 170Mbps down/100Mbps up on 5GHz.

So, ideally you need access to the 5GHz channel if you want to get the benefits, via WiFi, of your full fibre broadband connection.

0 Ratings