cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

Sudden drop of internet using ASUS router

Hi all,

On Friday night my internet dropped out and can no longer connect to the internet. The Openreach box DSL light is green so looks like it is getting a connection, im on Fibre2.

For the past year i have been using an ASUS RT-AC86U without issue, i called BT, they ran several checks and said there were no issues there end and booked an engineer to visit, unfortunatley not until Saturday and this is causing me issues with working form home. They asked me to plub my router directly into the filter socket on the wall which made  no sense, 1 as the RT doesnt have a modem and 2 surley the higher voltage would damage my port. 

There is an £80 charge for the call out is they cant find an issue with their connection and equipment so decided to but an ASUS RT-AC66U just to chec in case my router had died within the first 12 months.

Set it up and still cant connect, all my settings are exactly as they should be, firmware up to date etc so dont believe its anything to do with that. Just at a loss at this point until the weekend however is anyone aware of any IP address issues or instances where the line is blocked. I would just like to know what i should be asking them to do if i call them back instead of just going through the normal checks.

Thanks! 

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Re: Sudden drop of internet using ASUS router

Have you tried setting up a PPPoE connection.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 22

Yes, it is setup exactly how it should be, there are no issues with that side.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 22

if you have FTTC then you should be able to connect hub using the cable that is currently connected from master socket to modem and connect to dsl socket on hub.  if you get blue light on hub then connected

it could be faulty modem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 22

I have an ASUS RT router, i thought plugging the master socket directly into the internet WAN  could damge due to the higher voltage?

The ASUS router only has the stanard wireless and LAN sockets, if i plug the master from the wall into my internet WAN connection the light for the internet i believe would still stay red as it doesnt have a modem. Hope that makes sense and thanks for the suggestion.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 22

@busterboy1  is referring to a direct PPPoE connection between Openreach modem and PC/Laptop. This would show if problem is the modem or router setup.

Message 7 of 22

@pippincp 

Correct. 🙂

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 22

Thanks for that, i tried but get an error message when connecting to the internet, looks like its the modem at fault. Will have to wait for the engineer.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 22

Did you set up a PPPoE session in network and sharing centre?

Is the Openreach modem from original install or did you purchase it elsewhere?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 22

Yes, setup in netwok and sharing, know how to do it but for some reason it didnt even cross my mind to try. Got the modem error message.

Modem is new from install 7 years ago. All three lights are on but cant connect to the internet.

0 Ratings