cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT Smart Hub 2 - Expected Open Network Ports?

Hi,

Is it possible to get a list of the BT Smart Hub 2 router's operating system port numbers that are expected to be in use? 

After performing a a port scan on the router, it would be very useful to know which ports shouldn't be open, so I can spot potential security issues.

Surely BT can provide a list of ports that they know could be in use during normal operation of the router.

Thanks,

Ray

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 - Expected Open Network Ports?

@rayascott wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible to get a list of the BT Smart Hub 2 router's operating system port numbers that are expected to be in use?  No

After performing a a port scan on the router, it would be very useful to know which ports shouldn't be open, so I can spot potential security issues. It would depend on what devices and programs that you have connected to the Internet and if they are being used.

Surely BT can provide a list of ports that they know could be in use during normal operation of the router.

See links for common ports that are generally used.

List of TCP and UDP port numbers - Wikipedia

What are port numbers and how do they work? (techtarget.com)

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Perhaps I should have worded my question slightly differently...

I'm wanting to know what ports the router uses itself, for its own operation. I suppose you could consider these default or mandatory ports. For example, it needs port 80 because the admin interface is web-based. 

I'm well aware of the IANA's standard port numbers and service names. I'm not interested in ports that other apps might need, just what the hub would need for its own operation.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Port 80 isn't open on the WAN interface and neither are any of the first 1056 ports.

I'm not sure what port BT currently use for TR 069, but that will be the only port open.

Message 5 of 5

Thanks very much for the information.
0 Ratings