cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Hotspot 1000 performance

I am using a hotspot 1000 power line adapter, which works well on one socket but is much slower on another in the same room (and same ring main). This is only a problem because my TV wireless isn’t working so I need to hardwire into the hub. Therefore the slow socket is the only viable option.

i get 18.5 mbps on the good socket but only about 2.5-3 on the slow one. However the upload is as good if not better on the slower download socket.

I’d really like to know if there’s anything I can do to improve the slow socket?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Hotspot 1000 performance

There may be a problem with the electrical socket. If you are competent and know what you are doing you could change it. A new socket only costs a few pounds.

If you are not sure about changing it you could get an electrician to change the socket.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Other than the socket it could be the ring main itself. In an office I looked after one computer screen would flicker whilst all the rest were fine, moving the screen to another location it did not flicker. We had the electricians back and they found that the neutral in on socket further round the ring main was screwed in by the insulation from one side and properly by the copper on the other side. Once fixed the screen flicker disappeared.

You could have a similar problem - I don't know whether it would cause the symptoms you see but it might. It could also be dirty contacts in the socket in which case changing the socket as already suggested might fix it. If the pins on the plug are dirty then that could also cause issues.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Thank you countrypaul. I think you’re suggesting that the neutral side of the connection may be the problem, which makes sense. It may be beyond my amateur sleuthing capability to test, but it gives me a starting point.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Thank you gg30340. This is actually a new replacement socket, installed by an electrician. Nevertheless, added to the comment by countrypaul it may be worth checking behind the plate.
0 Ratings