cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Netflix, SKY Q and Router

Go to solution

I have a BT Smart Hub (g-fast) and have had very few issues since I have had it. I was getting download speeds up to 140Mb. Since May 2023 I noticed a steady drop in speed and ended up in August with speeds down to 50Mb. I contacted BT and they did eventually fix it and I had speeds back to 120Mb+.

My setup is, I have a SKY Q box with a Samsung Smart TV, my SKY Q box is WIFI (ed) to my BT Router and my TV is hardwired, directly to tp-link 16 port switch. All of this has worked well.

For the last few weeks, I have started having issues with my Smart Hub (g-fast) resetting itself, sometimes 2-3 times a day and one day up to 15 times (self-inflicted, trying to identify the problem).

I eventually found that if I access Netflix via my SKY Q box app (always did it this way with no issue) it would almost immediately reset/crash the router, however if I access Netflix through my smart TV app it works fine.

At the beginning of this I used Netflix using my daughter’s email and password, although I was aware that Netflix were aware of password sharing and stopping this for its users?

With all the problems I had with my router using Netflix, I eventually signed up to my own Netflix account thinking this would somehow stop my router resetting? Not the case.

I have reset the whole system from router, SKY Q, smart TV, switch with no effect, I did a Factory Reset of my router, again still the same?

I cannot understand why selecting the Netflix app from SKY can cause the router to reset? Even if somehow SKY has changed the protocol of its network?  

Has anyone else experienced this??

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Netflix, SKY Q and Router

Go to solution

Can’t say I have personally, but Sky Q does broadcast it’s own 5ghz WiFi mesh which can clash with the Smart Hub unless you change channels.

Better still, hardwire Sky Q and turn off the WiFi in the installer settings menu. 

I have no idea if this will solve the issue but it is another thing to try.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | EE TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

as @stereohaven suggested in changing hub 5ghz wifi channel to something other than 36 as that is frequency used by SKYQ - avoid any conflict

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. My SKY Q box was originally hardwired via CAT6 and I did swop it to WiFi just in case, I also did try changeing the WiFi channel with no effect. I am at a loss as to how/why this is happening, how can selecting the app on SKY Q cause the hardware to drop out?? I tried it again this morning and within 10 secs of selecting the SKY Q Netflix app the router reset's?? I may give SKY a call (if I can get them!!)

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks again for the suggestions.

I did revisit my settings and did indeed find the 5G WiFi was still on, I guess after I changed it I didn't save it!!!!

Turning it off (and Saving) has fixed the issue.

For reference all this was on the SKY Mini Box, the main SKY box was ok (CAT6)

Still don't understand why it should or even be allowed to crash the router??

Thanks again 🙂

Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Me neither.

Keep an eye on the Q boxes, sometimes an update can switch the WiFi back on.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | EE TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Hi,

Me again. My Netflix now works fine as reported in previous post using both my TV and SKY Q Mini box apps.

I have now found that my main TV and SKY Q Main box both have the same issues, i.e. as soon as I select Netflix, the router resets almost immediatley?

Both the SKY Q Main box and TV are CAT5ed into a Devolo Magic 2 WiFi system which connects into (via the mains) the Devolo LAN which is connected into a switch and then the router. I dont have any experience with Devolo and not sure how it communicates over the mains to the switch and then the router. I have disabled both 2.5G and 5G on both the SKY Mini and TV. Everything else works fine on any other app i.e. 'Youtube, Amazon Prime' etc?

I am at a loss as to why this is happening, any other pointers appreciated.

Akj1_0-1695303986189.png

0 Ratings