cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

New BT/EE smart hub

Go to solution

Hello. I signed up for FTTP and was given one of the new hubs that was made in partnership with EE. This meant it has an EE ssid and password and a public EE wifi name. However, I thought the EE hub had WiFi 6 enabled in it. However, mine only has WiFi 5 enabled. Why would BT restrict the hub to only be WiFi 5 if the hardware supports wifi 6 and does anyone know the workaround? 

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: New BT/EE smart hub

Go to solution

During the roadmap to move BT to EE, there will be times that differently branded equipment is used, it's the same kit with the same features.

The new EE Smart Hub Plus supports Wi-Fi 6, BT do not offer that hub, the hub you will have is a standard Smart Hub 2, not the Plus varient, your hub isn't capped or restricted, you have what was meant to be sent.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Are you sure it’s the smart hub 2, they look very different? I’ll attach a photo. 

IMG_5559.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution
Are you sure it’s the smart hub 2, they look very different? I’ll attach a photo.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

Yes 100% sure, the holes/vents at the bottom confirm it's a Smart Hub 2, the Smart Hub Plus has no holes/vents.

Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

Ah. I thought the Smart hub 2 was the hub with the circle in the middle (like the BT disks). 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Old style BT Smart Hub :

Richie_0-1700923143287.png

New style Smart Hub:

Richie_1-1700923191355.png

Smart Hub Plus:

Richie_0-1700923243334.png

Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks for posting this. I've just been sent a smart hub that doesn't have the grill on the bottom, and I'm supposed to be on the 1.6gbps BB package but my 2.5g devices only seem to be getting a 1g link. Will get in contact with EE tomorrow to see if this is related. I have wifi 6 though.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution
The Smart Hub Plus only supports 1Gbps LAN. You have a 1.6Gbps connection, but that's shared between all connected devices - no single device is capable of consuming it alone with that hub.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

@DarrenDev 

Does the Smart Hub plus have a 2.5 gig WAN port though?

Otherwise even if the connection to the house is 1.6gbs through the ONT the hub still only gets 1 gig to share between all the devices connected to it 

0 Ratings