cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 28

Re: New Firmware update for Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

It has always been recommended on this forum that you should carry out a factory reset of the Homehub/Smarthub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds after any update and in particular if there is a problem after the update and this was suggested in message 5 of this thread.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 28

Go to solution

Then BT's equipment isn't worth much if it's so poorly coded and tested that it's best to do a complete system reset every time it's updated. 

I've never needed this with any other companies products, and like most people I'm old enough I've been using a million different routers over the years since the very beginning of the internet. 

There would be a huge consumer backlash if this was common place, so BT doesn't get a get out of jail free card for that advice at all. It just shows that if that's their advice then it's best to use competitors products.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 28

Go to solution

I’ve just reset mine and the disc is now visible in hub manager, but it again took 20 minutes to complete the reboot. It just sat there with a solid purple light and the event log shows it repeatedly trying the PPP process.

I don’t expect a reset to be completed in seconds, but 20 minutes seems excessive to me.

The plus side of that is that I now know for sure that the hybrid connect does its job perfectly and I’m getting the advertised 30mbps from it, but any insight on what’s going on from anyone would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 28

Go to solution

@John_2015 wrote:

Then BT's equipment isn't worth much if it's so poorly coded and tested that it's best to do a complete system reset every time it's updated. 

I've never needed this with any other companies products, and like most people I'm old enough I've been using a million different routers over the years since the very beginning of the internet. 

There would be a huge consumer backlash if this was common place, so BT doesn't get a get out of jail free card for that advice at all. It just shows that if that's their advice then it's best to use competitors products.

BT did not give the advice. The advice was not intended to give BT, in your words, "a get out of jail free card".  It was given by BT customers who use this forum, in an attempt to assist other BT customers. It is entirely your choice whether to take the advice or not just as it is your choice to use "a million different routers over the years".

Message 25 of 28

Go to solution

@gg30340 If the forum has come to the conclusion that it's best to do a full system reset after every router update then it's abundantly clear there is a problem with the product that needs to be remedied.

Just accepting that level of defect while stating "use a competitors product if you're not happy" is ridiculous given that BT advertise this system as trouble free when the forums are saying the opposite, and a full reset is recommended regularly. 

This is an unacceptable defect any way you look at it. "Use a competitors product" is fine if BT are prepared to offer full refunds to anyone who has to do frequent resets, but they are not.

It's ok to demand better for your money, especially when competitors manage to achieve this with little issue.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 28

Go to solution

@John_2015 wrote:

@gg30340 If the forum has come to the conclusion that it's best to do a full system reset after every router update then it's abundantly clear there is a problem with the product that needs to be remedied. The forum has not come to that conclusion, some users of the forum have and has already been pointed out it is not BT's advice!

Just accepting that level of defect while stating "use a competitors product if you're not happy" It was you that recommended that not me or any other poster on this thread, so are you saying you are being ridiculous is ridiculous given that BT advertise this system as trouble free when the forums are saying the opposite, and a full reset is recommended regularly. 

This is an unacceptable defect any way you look at it. "Use a competitors product"  As mentioned above it was you that said that and I am pretty sure you will not find anywhere that BT said to "use a competitors product" is fine if BT are prepared to offer full refunds to anyone who has to do frequent resets, but they are not.

It's ok to demand better for your money, especially when competitors manage to achieve this with little issue.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 28

Go to solution

I just done a factory reset.

Looks like worked shows ethernet connections now and2.4ghz connections didnt before on hub manager, fingers crossed stays like that.

1 disc connected quick, other one took a little while but did it in the end.

thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 28

Go to solution
Just to say that after trying various other fixes to my problem - I couldn't connect the Disk after removing the ethernet cable - this is the first solution that worked for me. Thank you.