cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Problem Pairing 2.4GHz Smart Home Device with BT Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

Hi,

I have some smart new WiFi radiator elements which I am trying to pair with my iPhone SE via the home WiFi which is BT Smart Hub 2.  

The WiFi Radiator elements only function on the 2.4GHz band and will not pair.  It is suggested to resolve the problem if you have a dual band router like the Smart Hub 2 that you split the bands and rename 2.4GHz network with a separate SSID from the 5.0GHz network so so can force your phone and the Smart device to connect to the 2.4GHz band.

However on the Smart Hub 2 I cannot see how to set up the 2.4GHz band with a separate network SSID from the 5.0GHz band.  This was possible on Smart Hub 1.

Has anyone encountered this issue and found a solution?

Has BT got a technical solution to this issue?

Thanks for Help

Mike

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Problem Pairing 2.4GHz Smart Home Device with BT Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

@MikeOnTheMead11 

Disable the 5GHz band first.

See this post https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/Disabling-5Ghz-on-the-Smart-Hub-2/m-p/1992466

Make sure your iPhone connects to the 2.4GHz band.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

There are countless posts on the forum regarding this.

Simply disable the 5Ghz Wifi in the hub until the Smart device has connected and then re-enable the 5Ghz signal once connected.

The problem lies with the Smart devices, not the hub. Properly specced devices have no problem with both bands having the same SSID.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

if your device can only connect on the 2.4ghz wireless connection then why do you have to worry about the 5ghz connection - are you sure you have enough signal strength for your radiator - I have a E-On ev charger stationed outside and it needs to be connected to the internet to actually operate.

It only seems to connect on the 2.4ghz connection but frequently the signal strength is less than -70 dbM. eIt seems the charger is very touchy about poor signal strength. So I moved my repeater to the window closer to the charger and now it connects through the repeater although the repeater connects by 5ghz wireless to the smart hub. So hopefully this will sort out the problem. Use a tool like airport utility to scan the signal strength and check with the radiator manufacturer to see what strength signal it needs - probably find needs between -30 to -70 dbM.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

@oldnetworkguy 

Look at the date on this thread, its rather old.