cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 24

Hi all,

Why is it that b.t basically force you to have one of their routers? I've had my own router and it worked perfectly before b.t shoved updates through it. Now I've had to have one of the b t routers just to access Internet. 

I'm not very good at configuring technical equipment and can't do it myself. Why would bts updates change the way that the router I had bought change? 

I checked the router and it says there's no problem with the actual router, the fault is with bt but when I spoke to bt there wasn't an issue. Idk what to do. 

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

Re: Router

Go to solution

Any BT updates issued by BT for the BT HUB would have absolutely no affect on a third party router connected to internet.  More like the third party router manufacturer issued a router update over the internet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

It's more likely that your router is not up to the job. What make & model is it and what type of broadband do you have?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

@ Imjolly,

Thanks for that, it had already updated itself before and it was fine. I'm not tech savy and tbh it does my head in. My son knows more than I do about this sort of thing and he said it needs configuring problem is he's busy and to far away to come sort it out for me atm. 

Really don't want a bt router, but have no choice but to. Why can't things just be simple these days? 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

@Les-Gibson  it's Asus ax5400 dual band Rt-ax5400 if it means anything to you. As I said I'm not tech savy. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

@Les-Gibson the type of broadband I have is the new type that they put into new build system. Ain't a real clue?? Have brain fog tonight.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

I am not sure what your objection to using a BT router is if you are not tech savvy.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

I'm a bit confused, how did you test the router if you're not tech savey?

BT only push software updates to their own equipment, nothing that may have been pushed will have made any difference to your Asus router.

When did this start to happen, was perhaps after an upgrade of some sort?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution
My son normally does all the tech stuff for me. For what he has told me that there's stuff that bt send down the line, and re boot device when they want to.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution
Through the app that comes with the router. You can check through the router app any faults etc. It happened 2 nights ago now. I had already updated software of the router and it was fine. Next morning it died on me. App said its to do with provider not the actual router.
0 Ratings