cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 24

Re: Router

Go to solution

BT only push software updates to BT equipment, the likelihood of any BT updates affecting your Asus router in any way is zero and they certainly won't cause it to restart.

Presumably your Asus connects to a white OpenReach box with a number of lights on it, are any of them red and is the one labelled LOS permanently out or is it flashing

Message 12 of 24

Go to solution
"My son normally does all the tech stuff for me. For what he has told me that there's stuff that bt send down the line, and re boot device when they want to."
Yes, BT can install software updates and re-boot their own BT routers. But they can't do either of these things to any other make of router. If your ASUS router has suddenly stopped working, but you can still get broadband by using a BT router, then the problem with your ASUS router is nothing to do with BT .
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 24

Go to solution

Maybe the update from Asus caused it to factory reset and now all its settings for connecting to the BT network are lost?

Your son will need to double check that it still has the username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT set on it next time he can come over.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 24

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply,I'm sure my son will figure it out for me when he has a moment.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 24

Go to solution
Ahh ok. I thought it may be the settings within the router. No idea why it has changed as it was working perfectly a few days ago. Again as I've said I'm no techie. I know some basics but when it comes to changing or dealing with settings I don't. My heads just not configured for this sort of thing. I just want something that will plug in,work,go without all the faffing around.
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 24

Go to solution
Noop non are red, my son connected it up via the main box with the flashy lights which then the wire runs around the wall connecting to a router. All lights are green.
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 24

Go to solution

If you want something that just plugs in and works, use the BT router. That is what it is intended for, plug and play for non techies. You still haven't said why you don't want to use it.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 24

Go to solution

Going back to your original post:

Why is it that b.t basically force you to have one of their routers? The short answer is that they don't, many people use their own equipment.

I've had my own router and it worked perfectly before b.t shoved updates through it. As already advised, BT cannot and do not shove updates through non-BT branded equipment, it simply wouldn't be worth their time or effort.

Now I've had to have one of the b t routers just to access Internet. Bearing in mind that you are not technical, what are your objections to using the BT hub, at least then BT can ensure that you always have the latest software and can assist when things go wrong.

I'm not very good at configuring technical equipment and can't do it myself. Why would bts updates change the way that the router I had bought change? As I said earlier, no BT updates are going to make a ha'pence of difference to non BT equipment such as Asus.

I checked the router and it says there's no problem with the actual router, the fault is with bt but when I spoke to bt there wasn't an issue. Idk what to do. Another reason to use a BT router, the BT technical team do not have the capability to assist when third party equipment goes wrong so, as you are now finding out, it falls on you to help yourself.

I'm sorry if those are not the answers you wanted to hear but from all that you've said so far, I believe that using a BT supplied hub would be your best bet

Message 19 of 24

Go to solution
It's OK, sorted now, have bt router unfortunately until my son can figure out the other one for me.
0 Ratings
Message 20 of 24

Go to solution
They do shove updates through the line tho, whether you have their bt router or not. As for having the bt hub, lots of reasons, they can re start the router themselves, send stuff down it you don't probably want, and spy on you to. They monitor what you do and where you go.
Have their router for now, so it will have to do until the other router can be figured out. Thank you for everyone's help and advice.
0 Ratings