cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

WHole Home Wifi - replacement for Vodafone Hub

Go to solution

I moved from BT to Vodafone a year or so ago (big mistake - but that is a whole different story) and, because the WiFi coverage from their modem/router was so bad I have recently bought a 4 node BT Whole Home WiFi set up.  It looks fine from the settings page of the App (nicely cascaded, latest firmware, devices connecting, ...etc...) but the internet connection keeps dropping!

Vodafone have checked, and predictably say it's a BT (Whole Home Premium) issue not theirs - and told me to remove the new 'mesh'.  But, reading on this (and the Vodafone) community I see that this is a 'known issue' - Whole Home doesn't work well with a Vodafone supplied broadband/hub whatever the BT adverts say!  So it looks as though the solution (pending my return to the BT fold when my Vodafone contract ends later this year) is to replace their hub and forego Vodafone support unless I swap it back in.

So my question please - is what is a suitable replacement?  The posts I have found to date generally recommend kit that is no longer made (Netgear DM200, Huawei HG612, ..etc..).  The Dray Tek Vigor 130 looks as though it would work but it is a pure modem - do I need a modem/router to be able to connect the Whole Home mesh?  And the Netgear D7000 Nighthawk (which is a modem/router) might work - but I would then be paying for its WiFi capability which seems daft since Whole Home provides that!!

I have about 10 devices connecting by WiFi and one Ethernet connection (BT YouView box).  And I need the closest thing I can get to a plug and play solution - I am technically incompetent!! So please - any suggestions as to what I should replace the Vodafone hub (Modem/router) with?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: WHole Home Wifi - replacement for Vodafone Hub

Go to solution

You need to be asking on the Vodafone forum. Nobody here can advise on your Vodafone connection.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you, Liquorice.  But I was not looking for Vodafone specific information?  After all, the BT Whole Home WiFi discs are ISP agnostic and will work with any ISP - BT has said so!  

So the question is what do I need in order to connect the BT Whole Home WiFi master disc to the BT Wholesale provided FTTC connection to the house?  Just an FTTC / VDSL modem (like the Vigor 130 sold in the BT shop), or an FTTC / VDSL modem-router (like the Netgear one, also sold in the BT shop)?  

Unless, of course, (1) DrayTek and/or Netgear themselves are not ISP agnostic or (2) I am missing your point entirely!

Thanks again!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks Keith!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks Keith!

As a Vodaphone customer, that is the place to ask, as there will be configuration settings which are different to BT Broadband. There will be people there using third party routers.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

You are asking about kit to connect to a Vodafone connection. That is entirely independent of connecting to the BT whole home discs.

0 Ratings