cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

ASUS DSL-AC56U getting half download speed (250Mbps) vs the BT Hub

I am using the ASUS in (Under WAN settings)

Transfer Mode: Ethernet Wan

Service Unit: Service 1 (default route)

WAN Connection Type: PPPoE

IP Version: IPv4

Enable UPnP: Yes

802.1Q Enable: No

VLAN ID: 101

802.1P: 0

MTU:1492

PPP Authentication: Auto

TCP MSS Option:0

Internet Detection: PPP Echo

PPP Echo Interval: 6

PPP Echo Max Failures: 10

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: ASUS DSL-AC56U getting half download speed (250Mbps) vs the BT Hub

Should I change any of the settings?
I have replaced the BT Router with the ASUS one about 5 years ago because I could not get port forwarding to work on the BT Box. 
Any suggestions to get the maximum speed? Can I still use the ASUS as pure router only, in conjunction with the BT router and:
- get maximum speed

- still use the ASUS port forwarding 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

How are you measuring the speed and what service are you subscribed to?

Have you tried checking the speed using the BT Hub - if that shows the same limit, it may be easier to log it as a fault with BT (they can't use the not a supported router argument).

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

I used www.speedtest.net from a laptop connected to the LAN. First time round, using the BT HUB speeds showed over 500Mbps, once I put the ASUS DSL-AC56U it dropped to 250Mbps

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

You have not said what service you are getting, but I guess something like fttp 500 with a BT Smarthub 2. The ASUS  router you are using is an ADSL/VDSL as far as I can see which seems to conflict with the above unless you are using it in Ethernet WAN mode. Can you clarify which BT Hub you have and what mode you are using the ASUS router in?

You can probably use the ASUS as a router in conjunction but you will be behind the BT one and need to double NAT, you would also probably have the same port forwarding issue, possibly worse as port forwarding would be needed on both routers.

You could just use the ASUS as an Access Point to avoid double NAT but you will still have the Port forwarding issue most likely.

If it is quite some time since you used the BT Hub for a long period, the it may be worth leaving that connected and see if it gets a firmware update, if so check whether the port forwarding then works.

I am not clear on what you really want, if just the higher speed, or both  Port forwarding and higher speed?

You may have to look at a third router if you want both and neither existing router can manage exactly what you require. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

You do not need VLan ID enabled, the ONT takes care of that.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

@gnollo 

There was an issue some time ago with some Asus devices that QoS being switched on impacted performance so might be worth checking.

Message 8 of 15

This is the section where the VLAN ID is. Do you suggest I empty this field. Enable Above is already set to NO.

802.1Q.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

QoS is disabled
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

The product I am subscribed to is Full Fibre 500 with BT Halo 3>
You are correct, I am not using the ASUS as an ADSL modem, as it would not work with fiber (I tried), I use it as a router in the Ethernet WAN mode.
What I would like is the port forwarding and higher speed. I rather keep using the Asus than go back to the BT SmartHub 2.
0 Ratings