cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Asus DSL-AC68U - can I use this with full fibre?

Go to solution

I am currently connected over VDSL, and hoping that full fibre will be available soon - apparently a crew is installing poles in my area.

I use an Asus DSL-AC68U in preference to the BT Hub, because for some reason I don't understand the internet just feels snappier and more responsive over wired network. Also, the mobile management app is pretty neat.

Does anyone know if this router can be configured for use with full fibre? The manual is unhelpful, but I believe the previous owner was using it in an office network, isolating their small office within a large building, so it should be possible?

Appreciate any help / advice.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Asus DSL-AC68U - can I use this with full fibre?

Go to solution

If the device has a WAN port, t can be used with full fibre. Not familiar with the Asus, but I suspect it has a WAN port as well as s DSL port.

Bear in mind that if you move to Digital Voice, it will be necessary to use the BT SH2 to access telephony service.

Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

I don't think so. Despite the product page saying it has two WAN ports, I can't see any & there's no mention of WAN ports or configuration in the manual. So I think that's an error. ASUS generally have different products for WAN connections designated RT rather than DSL. So the equivalent would be the RT-AC68U.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

One device, two functions  With a choice of DSL or Ethernet WAN connections, DSL-AC68U can be used a DSL modem plus wireless router, or as a standalone wireless router. You can choose the mode to suit your needs, saving energy and clutter by replacing two separate power-hungry devices. Whether for a basic home setup or an advanced wireless network, DSL-AC68U has all the flexibility you need. You can also let two modes work simultaneously and manage them with ASUSWRT dual WAN function.

Seems to suggest it does have a WAN port 😃😃

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

I have the dual-WAN configured to fail over to 4G (actually my phone connected through the USB port) as backup. Have used this a couple of times, and works fine - takes a minute or two to switch over if the phone is connected (it usually isn't). The product page is just quite confusing on this.

There isn't a dedicated WAN port, so I suspect full fibre must work by using one of the LAN ports as a WAN port. IE dual is DSL + a LAN port.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Despite them not being labelled or there being any reference to WAN setups in the manual, looks like it should be possible to configure any one of LAN ports for WAN use according to this FAQ:

https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1016292/

Guess it's easy enough to check if those settings are present in the GUI.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
Thanks - that's good google-fu and looks like what I need.

I tried both google and wading through all the relevant FAQs on asus.com before asking the question here.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Hopefully our resident Asus wizard @TimCurtis  will be along with advice.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution
Under dual-WAN settings, the option is there in the dropdown to select "Ethernet WAN", and then I am prompted to pick a port to use as WAN.

Solved, thanks.
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks for the update @MP99 . Great to hear you got this sorted.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings