cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Availalability

I'm interested in Full Fibre and noticed in the last 12 months City Fibre doing a lot of installation work in my local area, and have since received notification that Full Fibre is available in my area. Checking their website shows around 10 ISP's, many of whom I have never heard of, willing to offer Full Fibre deals.

I have used the Broadband Availability Checker for my address and found that:

FTTP is not available. The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

I have just signed up to a new 2 yr contract for Halo 3+ in the last few days, as I confusingly thought that Full Fibre would be available with BT sometime in the near future, but the Availability checker suggests otherwise. As City Fibre have already installed locally, and the BT Broadband Checker states the Exchange is not in a fibre priority programme, does this probably mean the ISP's with City Fibre are realistically my only option for Full Fibre now and in the future, and the full fibre price guarantee with BT over the duration of the new 2 year contact is likely to be meaningless? I know nobody can predict this, but this is how it appears to me. I'm not desperate for full fibre, my speeds are consistent and decent at the moment but we seemed to be at the back of the queue for FTC  and now the same again.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Availalability

I'm kinda in the same situation. We've got a 100mbps+ FTTC with G-Fast connection but City Fibre has been rolling out Full Fibre and we now get lots of junk mail telling us about all the ISP's in that can offer full fibre. However, the only one of these companies I've ever heard of is Talk Talk who I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. The Openreach tracker thingy is now saying we're due for an upgrade to Full Fibre before 2026 so I'm happy to wait as I'm yet to max out our connection.

Message 3 of 13

the three FF main options I can see from City Fibre ISP's for my address are Talk Talk, Vodafone and Giganet.

I'm currently achieving around 70mbps, which considering how long we had to wait for FFTC while struggling on a meagre 1.5mbps, it still feels a luxury. If you can see 'by 2026' and we don't see even that kind of commitment, then I guess it's going to be never.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Bear in mind if you have just renewed your contract with BT, you will have hefty cancellation charges to pay if you leave.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Obviously if you wanted FTTP from another supplier and are within a minimum term with someone else , early termination charges would apply if you decided to exit the minimum term early .

The fact that another operator has arrived before Openreach has installed their FTTP doesn’t affect OR rollout , it certainly wouldn’t push your area further back in the rollout plans, if anything, to defend its market share , it’s more likely to be moved forward in the plans, there are  many examples of people observing this.

Any guarantee to move customers onto FTTP by BT for ‘free’ , once it becomes available is likely to be an ongoing programme, not time limited, ISP’s that use OR are incentivised by OR to get customers onto FTTP once it becomes available, the the ‘free’ element will remain part of the ‘deal’

Message 6 of 13

yes, I'm still within 14 days at the moment, so just having a good think about options etc. Better late than never 🙂 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

@licquorice 

Shouldn't a contract renewal carry the same 14 day cooling off period as a new contract?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

@rbz5416 wrote:

@licquorice 

Shouldn't a contract renewal carry the same 14 day cooling off period as a new contract?

Yeah, but just assumed 14 days had passed.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

@Stukrugen Do you actually 'need' more than 70Mbps?  You can stream 3x4K TV channels simultaneously with that sort of bandwidth.

Message 10 of 13

@Stukrugen our upgrade path was looking like never until a couple of weeks ago so there is hope