cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 38

Re: BT Access Point Help

No, Fibre 1 is VDSL. Full Fibre 1 is FTTP.

Message 22 of 38

Just remembered that I have a BT access manhole at property boundary. I've also checked the cable and it is 054822, which I think is a fibre cable?

Cable  - 054822Cable - 054822BT ManholeBT Manhole

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 38

Are you able to order FTTP , 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

What does the survey record for your address show ( the example below is a fully ducted property) 

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Feed with no anticipated issues.

Obviously most properties served from a pole are served by an overhead dropwire  , very occasionally a property may have a cable that effectively runs down the pole then underground to the property, the survey note will indicate if the survey took your underground feed into account or simply indicated that overhead would be appropriate, the survey note will be the basis on how Openreach will expect to serve your address.

As far as trying to reuse the existing duct , normally ducted feeds would extend right to the house wall using a duct bend, and duct cover and capping , your existing duct feed is not standard in that  it ends short of the building wall and then uses some non standard entry, at best your survey would say congested duct as it ( the duct ) may have been visible at the pole but not at the house 

Message 24 of 38

Check results here:

Fibre_Check2.png

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 38

As far as trying to reuse the existing duct , normally ducted feeds would extend right to the house wall using a duct bend, and duct cover and capping , your existing duct feed is not standard in that  it ends short of the building wall and then uses some non standard entry, at best your survey would say congested duct as it ( the duct ) may have been visible at the pole but not at the house 

I think I can dig back the grey conduit and get it to slip over the white conduit within the property.  Would this then be sufficient for them?  If the need to replace cable they would be using the existing cable as a fish to pull the new cable.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 38

As the install process is KCI2 assure, it’s a 2 stage install, should you order FTTP, the first stage is not done on the appointment date but some time before, and should establish what’s required, and arrange it so the second stage engineer is able to complete the job  easily ,  on the contractual ( appointment ) date , provided the costs involved are not excessive.

FYI , the existing copper cable shown in another of your images , shouldn’t be used as a ‘draw rope’ because if it failed , obviously not only would the FTTP cable not be installed but the copper cable would then be unusable, so any existing copper pair service would be disconnected.

I would have thought the ‘solution’ would be to use a split duct section to extend the grey  duct 56 ( a 2 inch duct )  to the house wall and leave it roped all the way back to the CBT location  , so they  can pull a new FTTP cable to the house wall from the CBT location, it’s unclear if this would fit in with your building alteration plans . The point where the duct was extended to , against the house wall would be where the CSP would be fitted, any reinstatement could be left for yourself to complete if that’s your preference.

A concern I would have is that the survey note states 1 inch duct 100 ( which is a very narrow duct and it’s not easy to get a second cable into it , I’m not sure Openreach even try to cable these  ) so it’s possible the duct that leaves the pole is duct 100 , the grey duct shown in your images is duct 56 , perhaps at some point the duct 100 meets the duct 56 , this would be pretty difficult to re cable.

Message 27 of 38

I read that cable ID at the house entry - so that 054822 cable is entering the property.

Can I get an Openreach engineer out to look at this prior to step installation?  My broadband deal isn't due for renewal until early next year.  This was a new build property - so shouldn't be too difficult to resolve.

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 38

There is no mechanism for  anyone from Openreach FTTP to visit without an order being raised , the number on the existing cable isn’t relevant ( it’s a 5 pair 0.5cu copper pair cable ) , if your step installation and reinstatement results in the the duct 56 and copper cable being buried again and inaccessible, then obviously that could impact on any eventual FTTP provision, if your current BT ‘contract’ is still within its minimum term that won’t necessarily bar you from upgrading to BT FTTP without any penalties , so obviously now , with the duct/cable exposed is the ideal time to order FTTP 

Message 29 of 38

Okay - so really I need to order Fibre install to allow me to complete steps installation.  This will result in Openreach coming out and pulling a new cable and whatever else they need to do.  They should also then tidy up the transition from grey to white conduit at the property entry, correct?

Will I have to purchase a Full Fibre package - I've checked online and upgrading at this stage will results in Fibre costing me £60pm.

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 38

You would have to purchase a ‘new’  fibre package but it wouldn’t have to be ( unless you wanted it ) to be any faster that your current speed profile you have , if for example you were on Fibre 2 , you can have that on FTTP , but it would require you to commit to a new ,( probably )  , 24 month minimum term .

TBH the small amount of small white duct seen on one of your images , going underground into your property is presumably something the builder/ developer used themselves as it’s not something Openreach use on any housing built from the 1990’s onwards, either your developer did some non standard work at the time ,  or some alterations to the property wall has removed the usually used , BT duct bend no.4 , BT capping 25 and BT cover 101 ( search these if interested what a normal modern Openreach ducted feed looks like on the exterior house  wall ) 

I would think the grey duct 56 would be extended to the house wall , once the CSP is fitted ( on that wall ) then another ‘internal’ type optical cable ran from the CSP inside the property, the only thing in that little white duct would remain the existing 5 pair copper cable ,not the new optical cable , but obviously on the day the individual installer may do something differently.

The first stage would look to leave a coiled up cable from the pole mounted  CBT against the house wall .

0 Ratings