cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

BT Fibre installation

I am having fibre installed.

The Fibre is coming from a telegraph pole to the house.  I am assuming they will disconnect the copper and replace the cable.  

I want the fibre box located on the outside of my house (a bungalow) next to where the current copper is supplied.
I have already had 2 Openreach guys out(both contractors NOT openreach) telling me it needs to be located at ground level.... and they will run a cable down the side of my house and back up!

Can anyone confirm if this is fact?  Thanks

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: BT Fibre installation

yes the CSP junction box where the external fibreto  connects in internal fibre is set a ground level.  cannot spice cable up top of ladder

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

The cable from the pole and the cable into the property are two separate optical cables , spliced together at a external block called a CSP , the cable from the pole attaches at height ( obviously on a bungalow that’s lower than a two storey building ) , runs down the wall to ground level , where the CSP is fitted (  the CSP  is not fitted at height where the cable from the pole attaches otherwise the splice  equipment would have to be taken up a ladder )   , if the ‘internal’  cable coming out of the CSP were required to enter at a first floor level ( in a two storey house ) then that cable runs up the wall to the entry point , but as your property is a bungalow that shouldn’t be an issue as you presumably don’t have a first floor level , but depending on where you want the ‘internal’ cable to enter needs the cable from the CSP running to that location.

FYI , chimney brackets etc are no longer allowed so if the copper cable is on a chimney the optical cable cannot follow that route .

Message 4 of 20

Yeah, how far back up is it going, the property is only a single storey, how far up the wall is the copper entering the property or does it go into the attic or something and come down internally?

The other thing to note is that where the internal fibre enters the property is almost always going to be where the Fibre Modem (ONT) is installed on the inside, you will likely want this roughly around floor level as it needs power and will be where the router connects to. A copper connection does not have this requirement for a powered ONT, so it can enter anywhere.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

Thanks... The copper attaches to the house about 2.5m off the ground. 

I want the wall box at that height.  I have run a duct through the house and down the wall (inside the house)to where the ONT needs to be located.  The run inside the house is about 10 m

Is it possible to splice up a ladder?  I am just guessing but I assume they do that up the pole.... too.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

Without knowing exactly how thats all setup....so forgive this post....

With the copper removed could you not just fill that hole in?

Then with the CSP mounted at ground level, Openreach will just drill through the wall there and mount the ONT more more or less inline with the CSP, where does the ducting run, to somewhere else entirely that would be nowhere near the CSP?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

Thanks imjolly.... although I find it hard to believe fibre can not be spliced up a ladder.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

It's not feasible to splice up a ladder.  There's a video showing the process here, which will give you an idea why - it's a fairly intricate process.  And there's no splicing done at the top of the pole - the CBTs are connectorised (that's what the C stands for), so it's a connector joint.

The wire from the pole will need to attach to the house at the 2.5m point, and then run down the outside wall to the CSP.  There's no reason why the internal cable can't then run back up and enter where you have the ducting - although this will be much easier if your ducting has a draw string to pull the cable through.  IIRC the internal cables come in fixed lengths of 10/20/30m - when my install was done the MJ Quinn technician only had 10m lengths, I was lucky that my total run through ducting was just short of 9m.

Message 9 of 20

Nope can't go where the copper went.
There are going to be cables all over my house at this rate!
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

Ok thanks, that explains a lot...
Yes, I have a string in the ducting.... Open reach contractor said he's not allowed in the attic, so I said I would go in the attic, and drill the hole for him.

If I put up scaffolding would they put the CSP higher?
0 Ratings