cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 23

BT Full Fibre 900 (not exactly true..?) Fault? or???

Go to solution

Hi there, so i finally bit the bullet and went straight to the top tier package BT FULL FIBRE 900 (Now i know i won't be getting full 900..) But i'm not even getting the Stay Fast Guarantee speeds either. 

I would be happy with 700mbps min or 950? But nope, i'm getting 120-150mbps Download with 95 Upload.

I am the first person on my street that has the true fibre package as well.

I'm using the SMART HUB 2 and a gigabit switch for all my devices and every ethernet cable is CAT8

The fibre was installed last week, so how long do i give BT before i call them up?

Also my phone all of a sudden no longer works either.... -_- I never requested that digital voice **bleep** bit i think they put me on it and my landline now refuses to work (thx BT)

Does the Fibre Optic need time to adjust like a week or a few days? the fibre was installed last Tuesday and still no  700 or 900 mbps speeds. 

I won't be paying £60 at all if they can't offer these speeds,  

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23

Re: BT Full Fibre 900 (not exactly true..?) Fault? or???

Go to solution

the speeds quoted by BT are connection speeds to your hub not download speed to a device

try running https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/  or Fast.com  and see what speeds you get.  should be 900/110 roughly

Post from forum mod

As an example of what I mean in terms of devices not being able to support the full breadth of speed available on Full Fibre 900, take a look at the table below.  This is just for a couple of Apple Smart Phones and Tablets along with  popular Samsung models,

Apple (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPHONE SE Yes 60mbps 300mbps
IPHONE SE 2020 Yes 135mbps

600mbps

Samsung (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-s10e Yes 135mbps 600mbps
galaxy-s10-5g Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Apple (Tablets) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPAD pro 3rd gen (Nov 2018) Yes 135mbps 600mbps
IPAD pro 4th gen (March 2020) Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Samsung (Tablet) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-tab-s5e Yes 100mbps 300mbps
galaxy-tab-s6 Yes 60mbps 600mbps

Ethernet should ensure you get the maximum possible speed but I also appreciate that connecting this way is not always possible

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution
Hi there,

Thx for speedy reply, i have done the speed test and it gave me this.

Download 144.92 Upload 97.79

This just isn't right.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

@Lithtechwrote:

I'm using the SMART HUB 2 and a gigabit switch for all my devices and every ethernet cable is CAT8

Any chance of you removing the gigabit switch & trying without it too, would remove one possible issue

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution
Already done that, same result.

Actually i have use speed test on PS3 AND PS4 and i got around 280 on those and they're hooked up to the switch.

I removed the switch and did a direct speed test from the SH2 to pc and got 190

I've never gone over 400mbps (yet) i'll be dammed if i'm paying 70+ for a service that can't deliver.
All my hardware is modern, i also plan to buy a new router in a few days a modern one with WIFI 6 etc hopefully that will sort it, if not? must be a fault on the LINE somewhere.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

Have you tried restarting the ONT, It seemed to fix mine when going from 500 to 900.

I have been on 900 for 6 months and haven't seen anything less, downloads from Steam and EA servers always full speed.

I'm not using the BT HUB though, I have a PC running pfsense instead, everything wired with CAT5e

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution
Just turn it off and on right? Actually not done that lol thought never crossed my mind.

All my Cables are CAT8 as well, you're on CAT5e? I didn't know CAT5e does gigabit speeds.

Still i'll try to reboot the ONT now.

thx for the replies guys!
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

Yea, just power it off wait for a while then power it back on.

I have had CAT5e running  at 2.5Gbps with no problems, much easier to route and terminate on faceplates.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution
Right

Rebooted ONT, still same result 127 - 180mbps Download
Also new Router Arrived, same RESULT even on a brand new WIFI 6 Router.

Remember i'm doing all the speed tests via ethernet not Wifi.

It's gotta be a fault with the fibre somewhere unless fibre has a "teething" issue like a few days or a week? but it's already been a week since i had it installed.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution

With FTTP there is no teething and you should get 900/110 right from the start although afew had problems with up speed restricted to 50 initially

Try phoning FTTP TEAM as they can check your connection and also look into your phone digital voice problem 08005874787

If you get redirected to CS as they are busy then hang up and try again later

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings