cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 48

BT and Sky affected by several issues

Go to solution

I posted here recently about my BT connection. It turns out that over 20 homes in my street are affected. Slow loading of pages, Gmail often inaccessible and random pages buffering continuously. Even when pages do load the tab at the top has the whirring circle. Both Sky and BT are affected but Talk Talk seems fine. An Openreach engineer was here for ages yesterday and can't find any problems. I get 145 Mb/s download but can't load gmail and many pages are unstable.

One neighbour was sent a new hub but there's no change. When BT tried to access my hub remotely they couldn't.  The BT hubs got some kind of update last week apparently and the engineer suggested we report this. Sky has also been changed remotely apparently. Something to do with Sheild(?).

I have both wifi and ethernet, Windows and Android devices. All are affected. As soon as I try a Virgin Media system all is fine.

What on earth is going on? 

0 Ratings
47 REPLIES 47
Message 2 of 48

Re: BT and Sky affected by several issues

Go to solution

A congested backhaul link.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 48

Go to solution

What is that?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 48

Go to solution

The BT Wholesale backhaul  link from the exchange doesn't have sufficient capacity for the number of customers. They should be aware of the problem and hopefully increasing capacity, although that may take some time.

Talk Talk have their own backhaul and don't use BT Wholesale

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 48

Go to solution

Hi @Frogmodem and thanks for posting.

Sorry you're having a few problems with the connection. I can check if there's a congestion issue at the exchange. I've sent you a private message so drop me a reply and we'll take it from there.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 48

Go to solution

Obviously, any firmware update from BT , will only affect BT customers , so if Sky customers are having similar problems it cannot be the BT firmware, and it’s almost impossible that Sky updated their firmware at the same time and it had the same error that caused identical issues to the BT change.
As stated it could be some common part of the FTTP infrastructure that both Sky and BT use , but TT don’t , but TBH , I’m not sure Sky use the same (BTw) backhaul supplier as BT Consumer 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 48

Go to solution

Sounds like i am on the same street and get the same issue, i have received a new router and it has made no difference. If it was an firmware update then i would have thought it would be a country wide issue. I first saw the issue on Wednesday 28th,

BT keep telling me it has to be looked at as an individual issue and not a street issue as Open Reach have not informed them of an issue in the street. Its very frustrating!! I have an engineer arriving on Friday, i don’t hold much hope until they look at the bigger picture. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 48

Go to solution

Hi @Frogmodem and @Adam7 .

Which exchange are you conncted to?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 48

Go to solution