cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Broadband Speed down again and is now 20% below Specification/contract

I seem to have a recurring problem with loss of download speed.

I report it, its corrected, and then some time later it falls back.

This time the fall-back rate bseems to be conincident with another problem, that of random stoppages during Play of  You Tube videos

The service I contracted for is rated at 50Mbps down and 10Mbps up (This service was called Infinity 1).

However, according to BT's own web-based speed-test and the separate Ookla test I'm only  now getting 37-39 Mbps down and  8-9 MBps up.

A few weeks ago, I was getting 43Mbps down and some time ago I was getting 45-47Mbps.

The Modem-Router I am using is a  BT Smart Hub 2  using the VDSL service on FTTC, updated to Firmware Vers Vo 31.00.10253 - BT dated 6/2/2022. The modem is connected to a homebuild Asus based desktop, running Windows 10 and 11 (Dual boot) (With fully up-to-date Windows software and drivers),  via a  1 metre long category 8 ethernet cable. The Smart Hub 2 Broadband page shows rated speeds for this service  are currently 43.998 down and 9.998 up.

The BT Smart Hub 2 "Shares" the  BT line out  (Usual VDSL connection) with a standard BT Decor 2600 phone.

Accessing the 17070  Quiet Line service demonstrates no pops and cracks on the line during use, even when broadband is being used whilst the phone is connected to the 17070 service - location suburban NW London.

Questions:-

1. Why aren't getting the contracted download/Upload rates ?

2. Why is the BT Smart Hub reporting that I can only get 43.998 up and 9.998  ?

3, Why am I only  now getting 37-39 down and 8-9 up ?

It seems that the service I get is repeatedly downgraded, despite my previous efforts to get it restored to near contracted levels.

I note that these reductions seem to be coincident with the updating of the Smart Hub 2 connections page menu to include provision for "Fibre 'phone" (Not activated as I'm still on FTTC).

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Broadband Speed down again and is now 20% below Specification/contract

please can you post the stats from your router hub manager then advanced settings then technical log information . 

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

there are no guarantees on upload/download speeds as all speeds quoted by BT are connection speeds at the hub

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Broadband Speed down again and is now 20% below Specification/contract

@NAROBS wrote:

Questions:-

1. Why aren't getting the contracted download/Upload rates ?

Because there is a fault with your line

2. Why is the BT Smart Hub reporting that I can only get 43.998 up and 9.998  ?

Because of the fault, DLM has capped your line at a slower speed to improve stability.

3, Why am I only  now getting 37-39 down and 8-9 up ?

Because the download speed will always be slower than the sync speed due to protocol overheads

It seems that the service I get is repeatedly downgraded, despite my previous efforts to get it restored to near contracted levels.

Until the underlying cause of the fault is resolved your speed will be reduced.

I note that these reductions seem to be coincident with the updating of the Smart Hub 2 connections page menu to include provision for "Fibre 'phone" (Not activated as I'm still on FTTC).

Total coincidence.

0 Ratings