cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 54

Broadband upgrade not working - help

Go to solution

Please help.  I’m so worried.  

On Thursday BT upgraded my broadband from copper to fibre.   It was supposed to be left fully tested and working by the engineer but was just left, not working.  Purple flashing light on hub.

BT could not help remotely.  They need to send someone out, 6 days later.   I’ve been left high and dry.

The engineer mentioned something about BT needing to activate it.

i work from home. I have and to take 4 days off work as I cannot connect my computer to the internet 

im at my wits end as my job will be at risk if they can’t fix it.   I have no annual leave left, the 4 days is unpaid 

BT talked me through the admin password and all that.  Switch off, factory reset etc.  nothing 

I’m wondering if there is anything else  I can try.  

I am away this weekend leaving my elderly husband with no means of communicating, not even our landline.  I am very worried. 

The router turns on, goes green, flashes purple then no colour at all.    Is there anything else I can try please? 

Thanks 

0 Ratings
53 REPLIES 53
Message 2 of 54

Re: Broadband upgrade not working - help

Go to solution

@KarrieB 

Welcome to this user forum.

This seems to be a common problem, where Openreach disconnect the copper connection and the fibre connection does not work.

On the new optical modem (ONT), what lights are showing, and are any of them flashing?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 54

Go to solution

Hi, thanks for replying.  

Sorry, when you say modem do you mean, to me.  the router box?    If so, the router has not changed Displays blue light when worked on old copper wire). The same router  with the big circle on the front.  It has a purple flashing light.

i got a new cable to plug in to slot 4 on the back of the router and to the new box on the wall. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 54

Go to solution

There should be two devices, a box on the wall with lights on it which is the ONT, and a BT Smart Hub 2 which is connected to the ONT with a short Ethernet cable. Both units have their own mains plug, and should be turned on.

Its the lights on the ONT which I was asking about, (LOS, PON) which ones are on, and are any flashing?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 54

Go to solution

Hi Keith

i have two lights on.  Power and PON, both are on, not flashing 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 54

Go to solution

The ONT will look similar to this.

Capture.JPG

The BT Smart Hub 2 like this.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 54

Go to solution

i have two lights on.  Power and PON, both are on, not flashing 

Then that would seem to be right.

Is there a lead from that unit, to the BT Smart Hub 2  Red port?

Its possible that the settings on the Smart Hub 2 are wrong, as the newest version has an "FTTP MODE" option, which needs to be enabled on the smart hub managing page, as it would have been disabled when you were on a copper connection.

I do not use a BT Home hub, so I an not sure where the setting is.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 54

Go to solution

See this post for instructions.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/New-switch-from-copper-to-FTTP-No-FTTP-internet-after...

That is probably all that is wrong, Openreach did not change the settings.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 54

Go to solution

CF58E19A-3E17-48C4-B6FD-E8AC396CCA5F.jpeg

Hi I have this

When I spoke to BT we signed into the admin area and changed the copper settings to fibre.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 54

Go to solution

5431701E-ECC8-464E-AADF-8D2CDACE097E.jpeg

0 Ratings