cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Broadband without a phone number

I used to have a phone number but like many people gave up the landline due to spam calls asking if I have had an car accident. I still have broadband though so there is a physical line there.

Due to a recent problem with slow speeds (2 rather than 28) I've tried to get an automatic test but the system doesn't recognise the old landline number and the BT account doesn't show a number either.

The next option was to try the online tests which confirms the slow speed, offers and engineer visit and then doesn't allow the option to book one. It just goes round in a loop which must have been funny for the software engineers that designed the form but not funny when you want a problem solved.

I have a brick wall ready to hit my head against but before doing that any suggestions?

BT.jpg

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Broadband without a phone number

Then call it in. 0800 800150

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Hi @emanresu and welcome back.

If you're having problems testing the line it might be an option to call the support desk as per @pippincp post. Alternatively I can drop you over a private message now so you can get in touch. 

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

So engineer has been and stated there was a loose connection in the junction box some 100 metres away. Claims I should now have 40 megs.

However using Speedtest, the speed has not changed from yesterday - only 2-3 megs.

So questions

1. If the line has been fixed, how long should it take for the speed to come up to the 23Mb Stay Fast Guarantee

2. Is Speedtest the best check or should I use something else.

3. If Speedtest is accurate (enough) and the problem has not gone, what do I need to do next? Follow the earlier advice of support desk?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

@emanresu 

Search for Google Speed Test, and see what that says. This is what the site looks like

Internet speed test

Check your Internet speed in under 30 seconds. The speed test usually transfers less than 40 MB of data, but may transfer more data on fast connections.

To run the test, you'll be connected to Measurement Lab (M-Lab) and your IP address will be shared with them and processed by them in accordance with their privacy policy. M-Lab conducts the test and publicly publishes all test results to promote Internet research. Published information includes your IP address and test results, but doesn’t include any other information about you as an Internet user.

About
RUN SPEED TEST

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Can you post a screenshot of your router stats please?

I suspect the engineer didn't actually clear the fault.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

You could also try 

https://fast.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Hub manager? Didn't know about that - but found it and it says 40meg downstream. So good catch by @imjolly 

Will now have to find the issue between the router and the PC. Using powerline connections.

Will mark this up as solved and check the Hub manager first in future.

0 Ratings