cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Can I cancel my FTTP order if I don't like the connection route they choose?

I'm in a bit of catch-22 situation. I would like to buy a FTTP service, but only if the engineers connect it to a specific part of my house. If they are unable or unwilling to do so, I don't want to go ahead. However, I don't know if it's possible to order the service with this condition, and I don't want to be lumbered with a 2-year commitment to service that I can't use. Would anyone know if it's possible to order a BT service subject to the home owner's approval? I've tried to speak with BT but I keep going round in circles.

Some background : I'm not a current BT customer and there is no BT service to my house. I live in an urban area and FTTP is available from the pole right outside my back door.

So far so good. However, my house has an old and long-disconnected analogue line connected to the gable wall. This line connects to the corner of the house and is cut off just below that. If I get a new FTTP service, I want a new connection to a different wall (still close to the pole) and ideally the old analogue line taken away. If the FTTP engineer is unwilling or unable to to do, or insists on running the line to the old connector then I don't want the service at all and I would like to cancel the whole thing.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Can I cancel my FTTP order if I don't like the connection route they choose?

I'm pretty certain they'll place the new line where you want.

If they can't, then I am also pretty sure that you can cancel the order as you will not have taken delivery of the service.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Re: Can I cancel my FTTP order if I don't like the connection route they choose?

Where your current copper line goes is totally irrelevant.

Message 4 of 15

There is also the option of an ONT move which costs just under £100 if you're unhappy with the location on a standard installation.

Message 5 of 15

You mentioning POLE just behind your house…

Are You sure, as FTTP will be installed and not FTTC?

(you can easily check what’s available for you at BT Wholesale checker: https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL ) 

However, most likely you will be able to intervene about where you want to be service installed, as they will not use former copper line, which in addition is not in use (as it’s terminated as you mentioned).

If You will be unable to find agreement with engineer, most probably service installation will can’t go ahead and further investigation/request will be raised, in which case, you could say simply NO

Only trouble, which might occurs is, if  engineer attend when you are not at home and simply install most of the installation outside your house (they however tend to install ONT inside, just because it require power socket anyway). But you might know installation day and time, which might eliminate this…

Message 6 of 15

Why would you think that there being a pole precludes FTTP?  FTTP can be either underground or overhead fed.

The ONT is ALWAYS fitted internally, it is not an external device.

Message 7 of 15

Combination of “rural area” and pole might be either FTTP or FTTC (many times more likely).

I know at least about 3 installation when engineers want to install FTTP just on outside wall of the house (even it ended up with ONT installation inside). 

However, can’t comment why they even try say something like that at concrete situation, but might be sort of misunderstanding in my opinion at the end…

Message 8 of 15

Just to say if fibre has only just become available to that area it's likely to be FTTP as the policy has switched to full fibre first.

Message 9 of 15

Thanks - I'll give that a try. I work from home so it's very unlikely that the engineer will call when I'm not here.

Thanks for your help and also to other commenters on here.

Message 10 of 15

@Alcibiades 

There are two main elements to an FTTP installation by Openreach:

1. Feeding a fibre cable from the nearby Connectorised Block Terminal (CBT) (which is likely on the telegraph pole by the sounds of it in your situation) to a new Customer Service Point (CSP) box that will be fitted on the outside of the property (which does not involve the entry of an engineer to the property)

2. Installation of an FTTP modem – known as the Optical Network Termination (ONT) – inside the property. The Router/hub (usually provided by the broadband provider) will be connected to that.

Typically, installation (of both elements) takes about two hours.

The old "Master socket" and copper line are effectively irrelevant. There’s usually flexibility on where the ONT modem is installed, so you do not have to locate it next to your existing telephone point. From what I understand, the fibre wire coming from the CBT (on the pole) needs to be secured to the top of the property and will be run down the outside of the house accordingly and the CSP would be placed within a certain range depending on the length of this outside cable. The ONT then would be in a certain range of the outside CSP for them to run fibre cable on the outside at ground level and then drill in. 

0 Ratings