cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

FTTP 900 speeds gone crazy since fitting third party router

Bit of a lengthy post so please bear with.

So recently upgraded to FTTP 900, for a week or so carried on using the Smart Hub 2 but was noticing at times it was starting to struggle, we have 40+ devices and 5 heavy internet users.

Note: Speed tests during this time were fine, constant 930 down and 110-100 up, spot on.

Firstly I purchased a Netgear RAX120, it was great except it has a fault that means it reboots all the time, NG aren't sure what's going on so I sent it back, knowing I didnt want the hassle and drama. This was a few days ago.

I then purchased the RAX200, which arrived today, this worked better and isn't effected by the same issue but when I tested my FTTP download speed from my wired PC, I couldn't get a download speed faster than 480mbps.

I googled "RAX200 BT FTTP 900" and saw a number of users who had exactly the same thing.

Again, not wanting the drama I sent the unit back to where I bought it from, putting this down to incompatibility.

Now at 18:45 the same day I've plugged back into the Smart hub, ran a speed test... and boom, it won't download faster than 450-480mbps...

I now have a feeling that perhaps this wasn't the RAX200, but something either triggered by me swapping routers so many times lately, or something that was triggered on my line by the RAX200.

Either way I'm stuck with a Smarthub 2 and a download speed half of what it was capable of only a few days ago.

I'm hesitant to tell this story to some poor first line support desk agent so thought i'd post here first to see if anyone can help or offer any insight into why a RAX200 might cause this issue, or whether the RAX200 was innocently a victim of some sort of other fault.

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: FTTP 900 speeds gone crazy since fitting third party router

You could try ringing the FTTP team on 0800 587 4787 and go through it with them

PS just remember to have a BT hub connected when you do as they won't support non-BT equipment

0 Ratings