Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 19

FTTP Install Issues

Go to solution

Hi all,

Openreach (OR) came today to upgrade me from FTTC to FTTP (previously with Plus but moved to BT).

Engineer came, installed the ONT and set up the router but couldn’t get the connection to work. He was here for about 5 hours working on my and a neighbour’s install.

At the end of the appointment he said he had done everything he could but there was an issue BT’s side and that they would need to fix it.

Called BT to find out what was going on and they said it would activate shortly and that OR had to do something in the background but it would work shortly. 

The OR engineer then called and came back a bit later, said he was advised to change the ONT as there could be a faulty batch, which he did but this didn’t resolve the issue. 
Called up again and was told there was an open order on OR’S side and that it would need to complete before midnight today before the connection would start working.

OR and BT seem to be pointing the finger at each other, I’ve had no Internet all day and all anyone can tell me a to wait and see.

How likely is it that at midnight the line will start working? Has anyone else had any issues like this and were they able to get them resolved?
 Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 19

Re: FTTP Install Issues

Go to solution
After waiting for the order to close with Openreach, the following day there was no connection.

Called up and spoke with someone at BT who advised that the install needed checking so an engineer came back today. He was really nice, spend ages on the phone to OR support and even called BT. In the end he had checked everything and could t find a fault on OR’s side so has had to bounce it back to BT as he thinks the problem is their side.

Spoke with someone at BT who has escalated internally and I’m expecting a call back on Saturday as that’s when the next update is due…
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

The small white modem or ONT unit installed somewhere by the installer do you have all green lights? Specifically the PON light should be soild green if sync'd and connected to OR side.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

Hi @Starman 

All the lights are green aside from the LOS which is off.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

LOS shouldn't be lit, there's a problem if it is.

Is PON lit and steady? it shouldn't be flashing at all, not even once in a blue moon.

Click this link to log onto your router Broadband and check that the FTTP switch is set to 'ON' as shown below.

FTTP On.jpg

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

LOS is off and the PON is illuminated and solid.

Have checked the router configuration and FTTP is checked. BT sent me two routers in error, have tested with the other one and it’s the same, no connectivity so it’s not a hub issue either.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

In which case I'm with the OR guy, I suspect an account problem at BT's end, it might be worth checking what telephone number BT have on the order

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

This was a home move to a new property, the landline number changed at the same time I moved in and is showing as correct on the order @Les-Gibson 

BT have booked a third OR engineer to come to my house on Monday which I expect will be a complete waste of everyone’s time. 

OR keep updating the ticket with a future expected resolution date. BT seem to be hiding behind that telling me that there will be an update by XX date. Unsurprisingly the update never comes as no one at OR is working on the fault because they can’t find one.

No one seems to want to take any responsibility so I ended up emailing the CEO of BT which has been picked up by the exec complaints. They were supposed to get back to me within 48 hours which hasn’t happened.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

Just to help you understand how the dynamic between BT and OR works

I'd suggest looking at your BT account on the BT app or by logging into your BT Id online. If the order is showing as complete, then BT will have raised a fault (there will be a fault reference which starts VOL013). An FTTP fault usually means an OR engineer visiting the property.

But if the order is showing as Open then this is not classified as a fault, it's a delayed installation. In both cases BT act as the bridge between OR and yourself. If the order is not complete then there wouldn't be a ticket as such, just an ongoing failed installation. A delayed installation is better than a fault as it means you will be due compensation for each day late the service is after the committed date (up to a maximum of 60 days.)

Remember OR view BT as their customer. You are what they call an "End User". So either way you go through BT to get OR engineers (or their sub-contractors) to fix things when they are not working. But understanding the structure may help you pursue it.

Regarding the telephone number I'd recommend looking at the order confirmation email (or letter) you received after placing the Home Move order to check what it says about the telephone number. Lookout for something along the lines of "Your number will be confirmed when your service starts" - that might indicate a number port was not placed or not possible.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

Both the order with BT and OR is complete. BT are saying the order is completed and the service should be active while OR are saying the fibre has light on it, is active and the ONT (which has been changed and activated) is working correctly. 

The number wasn’t ported as I have moved 90 miles from my old address so they allocated me a new number. The landline is live and I can make and receive phone calls without issue. 

0 Ratings