cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

FTTP Line Monitor tools

Hey - what tools can I use to monitor my FTTP Service to detect any drops?

I use my own Lynksys router and not the BT Super Hub. I randomly have drops throughout the day, I need something to prove this to BT. 

Thanks,

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: FTTP Line Monitor tools

If you're router can be configured to respond to a ping, the ThinkBroadband Quality Monitor will show when a line drops. But as a drop will generally result in a new IP address, it will need to be reconfigured after each drop.

It might be easier to put the BT Hub back into use temporarily so that BT can interrogate it's logs remotely.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

You can't monitor the line directly as the ONT isn't user accessible, you can only monitor the PPPoE session on your router to detect any drops.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

views on this please?

6cbe85913a2ff1287c8282b25ec812e9220227ea-15-07-2022.png

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Absolutely nothing wrong there.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

There's an explanation of any issues with the graph here. The only slight concern is the activity is constant, including through the night. If that actually fits in with the usage then no issue. But if the connection is essentially unused at night it would warrant some investigation.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

The line randomly cuts out for a few seconds, I really want to move to maybe Community Fibre. Any idea how to cancel within contract because of this? Is Community Fire any different to OpenReach's network?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

You will not be able to cancel your contract without penalty if its more than 14 days from its activation date unless there is a fault that BT can not resolve and they have agreed that they can not resolve it and are prepared to release you from the contract.

You must give BT the opportunity to diagnose and fix any problems with your connection. You will need to use the BT Smarthub during that process so that it is clear that the fault is not as a result of you using your own equipment.

If you feel you are getting nowhere as regards getting the fault resolved you should then go down the complaints procedure. If this does not resolve the problem you can then ask for a deadlock letter and if need be take the issue to the Ombudsman who can make a ruling but not necessarily will that you can leave your contract without penalty.

Complaints | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

As I said in the first reply, you need to put the BT Hub back online so that they can see the logs & therefore the drops. The chances of leaving your contract penalty free are pretty much zero until BT/Openreach admit they can't fix the line.

If you have questions for Community Fibre you'd be better off asking them.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

How are you determining 'the line cuts out randomly'

Do the lights on the ONT change?

0 Ratings