cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 25

FTTP Poles and New cable

So long story short, for 10 years now, I have been on the end of an Exchange Only Line, with 1Mb ADSL.  Nightmare.  

Anyway the farm next door sold off some land, and a development of 4 new houses are going in.

Last week new poles were installed, and chatting to the guys as 32 core fibre cable was installed.  The DB is 2 poles from me.  

What are the chances of me getting fibre at any point, now the cable runs right past my house.  The guy said they would be able to run a FTTP from the DB on the 2nd pole no issues as there is capacity.   Of course, all the checkers just say no FTTP available in my postcode.  That is DD2 5PD

10 years is a long wait and to see the fibre within 1m of my house is good but what are the chances. 

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

Re: FTTP Poles and New cable

Use the address checker on the page below, and post the results, but edit out your address details first, but leave the exchange name and cabinet number showing.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 25

Screenshot 2024-05-29 170631.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 25

Unlikely to be available, as its probably not within the scope of the PON.

Also the developer may have entered into an agreement with Openreach, to provide fibre to the flats. That would not include your property.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 25

Rubbish, hehe.

How annoying is it that it runs past my house, actually connects to the pole on my land too.

I was quoted £60,000 to install fibre a few years back

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 25

Until the FTTP scheme is live, the checker will continue to show unavailable. Check again once the first house goes live.

Message 7 of 25

Guess will have to wait and see, the guys are splicing just now outside 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 25

If the new developer has contributed towards the costs of FTTP , then a CBT etc will no doubt be close by , but unfortunately that doesn’t necessarily help you, new sites are a different build programme to retro build and have a different budget …….once the new build housing has registered addresses etc , and show on availability checkers , if your address shows availability then that great but if not , then you could explore FTTPod , but as the costs for that are from the aggregation node not a splitter node or CBT , so the costs may still be considerable , or if an aggregation node was built close by for the new builds the costs may be much smaller than previously quoted .
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 25

The guy said they are adding DB's either side of my house.  Not sure what he meant by that.  But seemed to think it would be fairly easy to connect.  Of course he was just contractor pulling the cables.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 25

Not sure what is meant by DB’s , it’s not really a term used by Openreach in relation to its passive optical networks ( PON ) , the external building blocks are cable chamber joint, Aggregation Node , splitter node and CBT’s  , the CBT ( connectorised block terminal) can be considered as the DP ( distribution point )  in the copper network ,  is the item where  the individual ‘lead in’ cable from a pole or joint box in the footpath comes from, the other common item is an IJ ( intermediate joint ) but that’s nothing more than where cables meet and are spliced together ……the term DB is a new one on me .

Unfortunately complexity of connection that will be the hurdle, but new build is  not the same , a developer could build housing no where near existing FTTP , and it’s usually reactive build to get fibres just for that development , and if it’s a very small development will likely use spare fibres in existing fibre cables  , retro build on the other hand is likely to pickup 10,000’s  of homes and businesses , involving new large capacity spine cables ,multiple aggregation nodes , hundreds of splitter nodes , thousands of CBT’s ( obviously built incrementally, as well new headends /OLT etc.

As stated , until the new builds are able to order FTTP , and you can check your own address , you won’t know if your existing property was incorporated into the PON design , but TBH ,  I think it’s not that likely