cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

FTTP being installed shortly but access not simple

I am getting FTTP installed on the 25 May but worried they will not be able to install the new cable without a hoist

Where the existing cable is attached  is 4.8 metres  from the ground and the yard below it is only 1.5m wide which will be a very steep angle for a ladder and difficult to use the lower couple of rungs anyway.   The wall is about 1.5 m  and as we are on a hill the outside pavement is lower than the yard.

BT are saying allthe outside work is done and the install  is internal work only which cannot be true as there is a nice new box at the top of the pole opposite but no nice new fibre cable from my property just the old wires .

I have no idea who to contact to explain the problem, any advice / help much appreciated 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: FTTP being installed shortly but access not simple

@Derby351 

Its Openreach not BT Retail  that do the installation, and they will decide the best option when they visit.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for that so as I have no way to reach Openreach and BT have wrong information I can look forward to an aborted install and unknown delays.  Ah well I have done my best to try and assist but it seems I am doomed to fail   ☹️

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

If this is a overlay area ( copper exists, FTTP provided retrospectively ) then the area should have been surveyed by OR before the FTTP network is built and before its ready for service, and each individual dwelling is given an indication on that survey of how easy or hard the install would be for the OR service delivery staff, if a hoist required , it would be indicated, if it were a complicated install , it would be set for a pre install visit …if your address doesn’t have an indication that it’s anything other than straightforward ( so no anticipated issues ) then a singleton installer visits on the day .
Have you checked your address on here
https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Message 5 of 7

Thanks for that, I have checked that  site and it says no problems expected.

They are possibly arranging whatever is needed and I can relax a bit now and hope it goes well

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

As said when a PON is Surveyed the Surveyor enters SNN’s, Serving Network Nodes for each property. Although it can be done on bulk for each CBT.

So if it’s an EL Pole, they’ll put that or if it’s Partial Direct in Ground they’ll put that and so on.

The SNN’s are selected from a Drop Down Menu and I can confirm there’s nothing on that list to indicate narrow driveways, houses on inclines, etc. 

It’ll be up to the L2C Engineer to establish the safest way to get the Fibre Drop Cable from the CBT to your house. Given what you describe it may need Scaffolding.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@Keith_Beddoe  lol

No they won't!

Planning is OK on the surface, but when it comes to something simple, like getting a fibre cable into an MDU, as these people just can't do it, or rather, can do it, but are not allowed to, due to so much red tape 😉

0 Ratings