cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

FTTP box Scorching

Go to solution

We recently had some work done in the room with our FTTP (Huawei 4-port modem) box and we noticed the schorcing yesterday (See photo attached)

Can anyone shed any light on why this might have happened?  I'm hoping its dust from plasterboard being cut getting into the unit and then being blown out by the vents.

We have also had a fault light on the box next to our moden but its been there for the last 3 years without any issues in the internet.  

Thank you all!

IMG_8716.jpg

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: FTTP box Scorching

Go to solution

I would make a guess and say those marks have been there prior to the 'work', just heat over the course of time rising from the vents causing some marking like that, perhaps just noticed it and put 2-2 together and got 5 like we all do sometimes. Whenever ive seen discoloration of paint or wall paper like that its taken a long time.

Im not familiar with the Huawei 4 port but im going to assume it doesnt have an exhaust fan, so dust getting blown out seems unlikely.

I could be completely wrong though!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT Full Fibre 900 (Big Sport UHD) - Nokia ONT - Ubiquity ER-X - EETV Box Pro (IP Mode)
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

The lighter horizontal smear suggests it's just surface dust. I'd have a go at it with a dry paintbrush & see if it vanishes.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

I'd be concerned if I were you.

That's the same ONT that I have, it's been in the same place for at least 10 years and I've never seen anything like that.

I suspect that the box with the fault light is the battery backup box and the batteries have had it, it's not really necessary these days so you have three options

(1) put up with it as it is, it won't make any difference 

(2) Disconnect it and do what you like with it (as I did)

(3) Open the box up and replace the batteries, they're standard AA size rechargeables.

Whatever your choice, I would still report the ONT as faulty.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @Penguin56

Welcome and thanks for your posts.

We'd like to investigate this for you.  I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Was there something in front of the ONT, a Sofa or something?

Looks like a lack of ventilation so the heat of the ONT, along with dust has scorched the wall.

When I was a CST I saw this a few times with FTTC Modems. I always advised people to leave them in a well ventilated place but they rarely did because I’d only worked in Telecoms 20+ years so what did I know. 😒

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Rechargeable batteries often get rather hot when recharging on a one off basis. I have a lot of rechargeable AA batteries around the house in radios etc and when I recharge these is my multi size charger they get quite alarmingly hot. Are the batteries in these ONT boxes continually being charged, so to speak and feel warm to the touch?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

There are no batteries within the ONT, they're in a separate box.

I only mentioned them because the OP referred to an alarm indicator

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
Ah, silly me.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Good afternoon @Penguin56

Thank you for messaging me privately.  I am sorry for the problems that you're having with your ONT.

This definitely needs further investigation.  As you don't have a BT account, you'll need to reach out to your ISP who'll arrange for Openreach to visit you on their behalf.

I'd be interested to know how you get on so feel free to post back here with updates.

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings