cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

FTTP install using own bracket?

Will Openreach connect an overhead cable from a pole to our own fitted bracket?

Openreach recently visited our property to install FTTP but were unable to run the cable from the nearby pole to the existing connection to the house. The current copper cable is apparently too low so they will not follow the same route.

We were given an option to connect to a higher part of the house but that will mean the cable runs right in front of 2 windows, affecting the view somewhat.

We discussed using a bracket at the existing connecting point to get the extra height (we looked at both bracket 44 or 51), however, neither comes out far enough from the wall to clear the overhang of our roof and guttering.

We know a blacksmith who we expect could make us a larger bracket in the same design to get over this issue. My question is would Openreach connect to a bracket we supply? I know there are quite a few rules around what they can and cannot do!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: FTTP install using own bracket?

This seems like one of those things you have to see to understand the issue fully.

If Openreach were unhappy connecting to where the copper is now because it was too low, but offered to fit higher and this spoiled a view....then surely a bracket to achieve the same height spoils the same view? Or were they talking about an entirely different location?

Generally Openreach are responsible for the install outside of the property, the CSP, the fibre, the bracket and back onto the pole and away, so they will have policies that protect them, IE not using customer provided 'this and that' if its not approved, even if on the face of it is can cause no harm to the install. It can depend on the installer who arrives who will be within their right to refuse to do anything outside of standard operation procedure, or you might get someone who is more than happy.

My install was carried out by sub contractors and did a couple things outside of standard procedure to facilitate my install in such a way more favorable to me, however it wasnt a hard no from me if they couldnt and I dont doubt on another day another installer would have said no also I had bracket 22 on my facia which I assume had been there for 400 years.

The main problem you have is you wont be able to confirm with Openreach prior to the install, IE having the bracket made and installed only for refusal to come on the day because the engineer doesnt want to use it and you cant arrange this sort of thing in advance, normally. I assume brackets 44 and 51 are approved just like bracket 22 which we see on most facias with overhead installs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

No, they can’t and shouldn’t use any Bracket Fixing that isn’t approved by Openreach.

From what you’re describing it sounds like a Carrier Pole needs to be installed.

Message 4 of 6

Yes they were talking about a different location. The current copper is attached to the back of the house, and the proposed new attachment is on the side.

Thank you for your detailed response.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Thank you, a pole closer to the property was discussed but as there is an alternative fixing it was thought that Openreach would refuse to pay for a new pole and we would have to cover the expense.

That is probably fair enough but it would be quite expensive so I am looking at any other options open to us.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Its a very thin bit of black cable, its not really that noticeable but I can only speak for myself but i'd definitely take the speed and reliability of fibre even if I do have to see it out my window.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings