cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 33

FTTP installed but ONT PON still flashing... HELP!

Hi all,

FTTP installed earlier today. (About just over 2hrs ago) the chap done what he needed to do and then after installing ONT proceeded to activate it. Said this will take around 10mins for light to go solid. 20 minutes later phone OR to tell them it's still flashing after he got his text to confirm it was activated.

He then tells me sometimes the first connection (which I am on this pole) throws up things like activation against splitters and headend needed configured properly. Something to that effect.

OR lady on phone was struggling to get into the system to connect to this pole (so he was telling me) basically it ended with her trying to pass it over to a supervisor to look at it and see if they can rectify it. Engineers left and moved to their next job...

I have not heard back from engineer and the ONT PON is still flashing. Power light solid, LOS not lit, PON flashing green and LAN to my router solid green.

I have that sneaky feeling I am now going to have to do the chasing and need to request help.

So, today is supposed to be my FTTP day and I'm still waiting 😭😭

Please help. Obviously I can't chase OR direct as I'm a BT BB customer upgrading from FTTC to FTTP. Put a right downer on my day 😭😭

Please help.

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33

Re: FTTP installed but ONT PON still flashing... HELP!

A Flashing PON could be a number of different things;

ONT has Failed to Register Against the Head End.

Profile hasn’t been Built Correctly.

Faulty ONT.

Routed to Wrong SASA and or Head End Port.

Light Level hasn’t been set Correctly for Distance from the Head End.

As for this being first Connection off that Pole is nonsense. All the Ports on the CBT should be on the same SASA. He might of meant they sometimes have issues for people being the first Subscriber off a PON as it might be on the wrong SASA and or Head End. 

Do you know if the Engineer has closed the job off?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 33

He told me he was leaving it open while he was waiting for a call back.

All I know is there is an error at OR end with the ONT. 😭

Feel a little left in limbo now...

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 33

If he’s left the job open on his iPhone I’m sure he’ll get back to you.

You have to understand Openreach Engineers in SD, Service Delivery are severely Micro Managed and are regularly given unrealistic and a lot of the time un achievable work loads so while their Support Helpdesk DCoE deal with whatever they need to deal with the Engineer will usually need to make a start on the 2 or 3 other jobs they’ve got to try and get done by 4pm that day.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 33

I have had an email from Openreach CEO office telling me that their is a section of faulty cabling in the exchange that is most likely the fault behind this. If that is the case I hope that is a quickish fix.

The chap did ask me if I was happy for him to contact my service provider (BT) to keep me updated. I did say yes to that.

I guess it's wait and see time?

😭😭

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 33

OK, not really sure I buy that.

In regards to Fibre Cable in the Exchange all you’ve got on the Openreach Access Network Side is the Hydra from the Head End to ODF or OCR.

Then in the case of the ODF the Jumper, or Pig Tails as some call them between the Hydra Tray, WDM Tray and the Tray with the Fibres going to the Cable Chamber Joint.

These are just Fibre Cables, there’s nothing Mechanical about them that would cause you to get a Flashing PON.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 33

So basically sounds like I'm being fobbed off and something more serious is wrong somewhere within the setup ?

OR CEO office posted this response to me earlier...

I’ve looked into this for you and there appears be a problem with a piece of equipment, located within the exchange building. And in order to fix this problem (and to provide you with a connection), we need to replace a section of cabling, within the exchange itself."

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 33

Have you tried phoning the FTTP TEAM  08005874787 and see if they can help rind and fix the problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 33

That Response Looks Like Bull S*** and Reads Like Bull S***. Therefore I’m Quite Sure it is Bull S***.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 33

Yes, I did phone the team and they spoke to OR. Still not resolved. 😭

0 Ratings