cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: FTTP - repurpose master socket?

Great, thanks for the advice. I suppose I asked more than anything as openreach don't like customers fiddling with the master socket and have heard a few stories of penalties and high costs for a "repair"

I suppose if they left the copper cable in place and I moved house and the next owner didn't want broadband but just a phone line then I would have to put it all back before I moved out?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 16

No, Openreach only provide copper service up to the Master socket and no further. FTTP is supplied to the ONT and no further. That is why I said you need to disconnect the extension wire from the Master socket and connect to an ethernet socket instead.

By 2025 there will no longer be a copper phone service.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 16

Do openreach put a limit on length of external fibre cable before it enters the property? Current copper line enters by the front door but living room at the rear of the property on the 1st floor which would require a run of 12m+, maybe closer to 15m to include down the side of the house and up the wall. 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 16

My understanding is the total run of internal grade cable can be up to 30m on a standard install in theory but it will be very dependant on the installers willingness especially if they are a contactor as they typically have 4 or 5 installs per day.

My own experience was I had to make it as easy as possible for him to gain the route I wanted (his first preference was install in the kitchen) in that I drilled all of the holes and cleared the route to allow him to thread the fibre and clip it on my skirting (personally it sags in places due to limited cable clips being used).

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 16

I already have a hole drilled through the wall of my property where a disused sky cable currently sits but more than enough room to fit a fibre cable, the ONT would then be placed almost immediately the other side of the hole so very little internal cable required. 

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 16

Openreach offer ISPs a standard or premium installation. I'm guessing most opt for standard. While a length of external cable isn't specified for this, the premium option says they'll install more than 15m if required. So the inference would be that a standard install is up to 15m of external cable.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/products/fibre-broadband/installation-options

0 Ratings