cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

FTTP viability questions

Hi folks,

Some advice please. I am looking at getting FTTP and have been told it’s easy - OpenReach will come out and sort it.

However, my current layout I think will make it difficult. Internet comes in from underground near my front door, and then the master socket is in an internal wall. I’ve read that they just drill through so the FTTP internal panel sits on an external wall, but I have no power sockets anywhere near where it currently comes in on the ground (and honestly, no where else is really a suitable place for it to go - the master socket location is perfect).

I read that they can pull the fibre cable through using the existing copper, however my friend had this done and the copper snapped, so has ended up with the connection in a really bad place. (Diagram below).

Making it more tricky, is that cleverly someone had an AC unit put outside right next to the current cable in area (pictures shown). I don’t think this is going to make anything possible, but I could be wrong?

Thanks!

CDCFD634-8A9C-431A-88B8-C9B67CFE23BF.jpeg

59171854-3F84-4517-B308-FA4BD4AA2BC0.jpeg

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: FTTP viability questions

I don't think the air con unit will be a problem. The fibre optic cable in my experience is not normally puller through using the existing copper. If it were and it did snap then unless the underground ducting is blocked it should still be possible to route the fibre optic cable through. 

The engineer can run fibre cable EXTERNALLY to then enter the house at a more convenient point.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 3 of 13

Thanks. Good news on accessibility. I wasn’t sure if the new outside panel would fit there from looking at them. 

re the ducting, it’s because the socket is on an internal wall which is where I’d like to keep it, guess we will see what they say. I’ve just got visions of something breaking the existing one and being forced to have to put the new socket on an external wall which will be a headache. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

The optical modem - the ONT- will most likely be on an external wall. It needs a power socket. The Hub is connected to the ONT by an Ethernet cable and so can be more flexibly situated. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Exactly this. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Thanks. I’ll see what OpenReach say, I can’t see how but maybe they’ll be able to get the ONT on an internal wall next to the existing master socket. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

The chances are that the existing master socket wiring was installed by the builder at ‘first fix’ , before the walls and ceiling were completed , and looking at your diagram is probably not going to be practical as the location of the ONT , you certainly couldn’t simply pull the optical cable through the walls/ ceiling using the existing cable as a draw rope, to have the ONT here would require surface wiring ( cleated to the skirting boards ) around three walls of the living room , then along the internal wall ( behind the sofa ) to the current master socket location….the tech would be well within their rights to expect you to move any restrictions ( like the TV and sofa ) to ease access , if you insisted on this as the ONT location.
Where the existing grey plastic capping exists on the external wall , a new CSP block will be fitted , this is where the external fibre cable is installed to…from here , access is drilled though the wall and an internal fibre cable is ran to the location of the ONT , pretty much immediately once inside would be the preferred ONT location, but there needs to be two power sockets close by to run the ONT and router.
No doubt the technician will explain what is and isn't possible , they ( generally ) will aim to do as you request , within reason.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

@iniltousUnless the OP is unfortunate and gets one of the contractors instead of an Openreach Engineer. They want to be in and out ASAP as they are paid per job.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

I’m assuming for the two sockets, a power extender will be sufficient (ie it doesn’t need to be directly on the mains). 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Yep.
0 Ratings