cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

FTTP vs Cisco ASA

Go to solution

Im considering moving to BT FTTP, However have seen that the BT HUB can not been put into modem mode.  Is the FTTP modem now integrated?  If so is there a compatible modem that can be used?

Im relatively happy with the configuration on the ASA side, just want to make sure the hardware will work.

Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: FTTP vs Cisco ASA

Go to solution

FTTP is delivered via an Optical modem (ONT) with an Ethernet port. Any PPPoE capable router can be used behind it unless you require Digital Voice, in which case the BT Smart Hub2 MUST be used.

Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

I always hate it when the ONT is referred to as a modem. In the case of FTTP the ONT is used instead of a modem, but the ONT in itself is not a modem.

Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

So,  To Clarify,  The ONT (which is not a modem) but provides an interface between the BT supplied fibre, and the  BT Smart Hub 2.  

the connection between is ethernet

My ASA is also capable of PPPoE so this configuration will work

Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@Checked2013 wrote:

I always hate it when the ONT is referred to as a modem. In the case of FTTP the ONT is used instead of a modem, but the ONT in itself is not a modem.

Ok, for the pedants amongst us, the ONT converts the Optical FTTP signal to an Ethernet signal, most people would call it an optical modem.

Openreach, BT and everyone else calls it a modem.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@bobk2 wrote:

So,  To Clarify,  The ONT (which is not a modem) but provides an interface between the BT supplied fibre, and the  BT Smart Hub 2.  

the connection between is ethernet

My ASA is also capable of PPPoE so this configuration will work

Correct

0 Ratings