cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 19

Re: Fibre 2 (55 Mbps Min Guaranteed) - getting 4Mbps

The dslchecker shows FTTP is available at your address - please delete your address for your security  as this is a public forum

Your hub has reset since yesterday stats was that a manual reset or a drop in connection?

The cost ofFTTP package should be same as existing package but with better more consistent speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 19

OK thanks @imjolly 

Ran a few more tests when getting home from work, getting 40mbps pretty much solid now but still a ways from the min 55mbps and from the DSL checker stats.

Going to speak to BT CS, when this order closes (not sure why it's still open) to upgrade to Full Fibre, as currently we're still only getting 40Mbps.  I'd rather they just switch it over completely.

Can't tell you why the hub reset, assume a drop or a restart of sorts, certainly wasn't manual.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 19

You are reading it wrong - you CAN get full fibre at your property according to that.

FTTC will cure any problems with an old copper cable and is totally stable - you always get what you pay for. For peace of mind and future proofing I would suggest you look to getting it installed in place of Fibre 2.

You may be able to get this most simply through an upgrade process rather than cancelling your Fibre 2. However FTTP is often cheaper than FTTC deals and they may not let you easily (normally they are happy to upgrade you when you are going to pay more, and make it hard if you are to pay less). So you may need to phone.

Who 'led you to believe' that you couldn't get FTTP? 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 19

OK so bare with me, apologies been working away for a few days.

The full Fibre availability was something that was an error our end (user input error blame the wife), so I'll concede we can't get that. Not a problem 

What I do have a problem with is that in my current property, we're only yielding a speed of 43mbps, so we called up to raise a fault, and they confirmed checks showed a fault and booked an engineer to come visit us this morning.

Engineer stated nothing he could do, Master Socket, hub etc all working within range, in his words he stated that either the "line is capped at 43mbps, due to what was order at the time of moving home or there's an outside fault"

When we moved we created the home order to the new property, entered in the details of the new property and it confirmed 61-73mb Fibre 2 as per pic below, at no point was there any indication the line speed would downgrade by moving, otherwise I'd have bought this with BT at that time.

After the engineer visit earlier today, and after extensive chats with BT CS , they confirmed that 43mbps is the best the line can support and in no way can they upgrade it, even though the DSL checker, Postcode checker and Other 3rd parties state the line should and could offer higher.

But what's even bigger of a kick in the nuts is that they're stating they'll downgrade me to Fibre 1 to me the line cap but will not introduce a reduction in monthly cost?  How does that work?

I cannot get out of contact as it'll apparently cost me £700 but yet I'm held to ransom on a lower package but at the same cost, how is that fair to the consumer

I wanted to touch base with you guys again before, is this allowed and what was being referred to in terms of line cappage, is it merely a case of Openreach putting me onto a line with a 80mbs cap?  As I've proposed this already to BT CS and they seem unaware of this being an option or they refuse to send another Openreach Engineer out to check as technically the appointment can't be raised unless there's a fault and the system won't flag a fault now as the last engineer confirmed no "indoor issues"....

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated before I approach Ombudsman?

correctdslchecker.png

btpostcode.gif

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 19

When you signed up you were given a minimum speed guarantee, and a speed range , if you don’t get the minimum speed guaranteed  , you report it , if the speed cannot be achieved you can leave penalty free

…the statement  "line is capped at 43mbps, due to what was order at the time of moving home or there's an outside fault", well in either case the ‘engineer’ gets the cap removed or fixes the fault , this suggests the engineer visit was not from Openreach , but a tech  that only checks the internal set up , they should pass the fault to Openreach if the fault is outside the property.

Post your router stats again, dig out the order confirmation that provthe speed range and minimum speed guarantee.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 19

After the engineer visit earlier today, and after extensive chats with BT CS , they confirmed that 43mbps is the best the line can support and in no way can they upgrade it, even though the DSL checker, Postcode checker and Other 3rd parties state the line should and could offer higher.

But what's even bigger of a kick in the nuts is that they're stating they'll downgrade me to Fibre 1 to me the line cap but will not introduce a reduction in monthly cost?  How does that work?

I cannot get out of contact as it'll apparently cost me £700 but yet I'm held to ransom on a lower package but at the same cost, how is that fair to the consumer

I wanted to touch base with you guys again before, is this allowed and what was being referred to in terms of linecappage, is it merely a case of Openreach putting me onto a line with a 80mbs cap? 

If you are on Fibre 2 package because your prediction was for 61-73 but your line can only actually support 43Mbps it sounds like your line is degraded / has a fault. What is on the predictor is only a prediction, and it looks like you are unlucky with your copper.

As has been mentioned the Stay Fast Guarantee is there for a reason, and from your screenshot it looks like yours is 56Mbps. If you cannot pursuade BT to investigate your line further then this guarantee is what you should invoke if you are not satisfied.

Bad news is that moving ISP won't help as they all use the same technology and the same piece of copper cable. Ultimately you need FTTP to improve your situation.

Copper cable is now life expired in many places and there is little incentive to fix problems like this with FTTP on the way.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 19

Thanks for the replies, I will contact them again.

In regard to the line speeds evidence, unfortunately I cannot seem to find them stipulated anywhere now although I have managed to get the order back up and it states Fibre 2.  Can't access personal hotmail emails at work so will have a drudge through them later incase it was specified in an email but 100% remember it stating them  during the home move order or I would have queried it prior to finalising the order itself.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 19

It's been many years since I last spoke to them but ask to be put through to the "Connections" team. I always found them both knowledgable & helpful. Hopefully they still exist despite the apparently endless reshuffles & name changes.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 19

Just to be clear, your new address doesn’t retain the speed prediction and guarantee from the old address , the new address gets its own prediction and guarantee, that may be worse , similar or better than the old address ….the speed achievable is directly related to the distance from the cabinet that serves that property, the old address information becomes irrelevant once you move.

If the router stats show a large gap between the max attainable speed and the connection speed , it probably indicates a problem , that may be inside the property or outside , if the two figures are pretty close it could be that the speed you get , is as good as it can be.

0 Ratings