cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Fibre 500 speed issues

Go to solution

I had Fibre 500 installed yesterday (Upgarde from Fibre100). Openreach engineer came out, said everything was set up fine however I am seeing fluctuating download speeds between 150-200mbps which is less than half of my guaranteed speeds. This is using both wifi and wired connections. I have contacted BT who suggested something about a radius causing connection drops and to do a full reset (which I have done) and no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Fibre 500 speed issues

Go to solution

If your connection was using a Radius server you'd know about it, and client devices would either be connected or they wouldn't.  If clients are dropping in and out due to a Radius server, then it's failing even a bad configuration would struggle to cause that issue.

Unless BT are telling you they've messed up their configuration - in which case you cannot do anything about it from your end

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

I can’t even remember what she was saying about a radius I can’t lie. I was on Fibre 100 for 2 years without any real issues constant download speeds of 145-150 mbps. Just frustrating that I have seen no upgrade and such a vary of download speeds.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

what speeds do you get using fast.com with device connected to hub with ethernet cable?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Hi, I’m still getting between 160-200mbps on a wired device on Fast.com. I’ve only seen 200+ on a couple of occasion. Very fluctuated

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Could the radius referred to have been the radius of bend in the fibre optic cable, if bent too tightly and before it breaks?  My understanding is that if bent too tightly problems can occur, especially at longer wavelength, but that rerouting the cable to bends within specification can often correct the problems depending on severity of damage. 

It is not clear to me what "radius" BT referred to based on the OP posting.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Hi all, thanks for the reply. Got back in touch with a fantastic service advisor who solved the issue. I have a feeling it’s some settings on BT’s end that was limiting my speeds however it was swiftly fixed by BT this time round!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @KyMcQ That's great, I'm glad it was sorted when you got back in touch. It sounds like the correct fibre 500 profile wasn't applied after the upgrade, sorry about that.

Neil

0 Ratings