cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

Fibre (FTTC) suddenly slow download / upload after 3 years

Good afternoon, I’m hoping there are some true experts out there who may be able to help with our problem.  We noticed a significant reduction in broadband speed (download ~ 20 Mb/s (normal speed would be 50 – 60Mb/s) and upload a pathetic ~ 0.5 Mb/s (normal speed would be ~ 7 - 8Mb/s) since last Wednesday.  Online checks through BT told us we needed an engineer appointment and he attended on Saturday morning and attempted to find the source of the fault.  The engineer confirmed after lots of testing inside and with our ethernet network that the source of the fault was somewhere outside our property, likely at the cabinet or a connection point somewhere between our house and the cabinet and later called to say he’d changed a few things and we should monitor our broadband performance.  On Sunday our speeds were poorer than when we first noticed the issue so a “fault fix rejected” was logged by BT and the status is currently showing as “monitoring our speed for 3 days”.  Our download and upload speed however seems to be getting worse by the day and this morning I’m struggling to work from home or conduct basic tasks on the internet.  I contacted BT yet again a couple of hours ago, as the performance is so poor, and I also tried using the “quiet line test” (17070) and there was an intermittent hissing and white noise clearly present.  After lots of discussion, most of which seemed to be questioning basic things that would have already been checked by the engineer on Saturday, they have now organised for a level 2 BT openreach engineer to attend tomorrow.  For whatever reason, since I was in touch with BT, my broadband has got even worse and almost ground to a halt and the download / upload is barely functioning.  A factory reset of the hub later and it seems slightly quicker but still very poor.  Any ideas / comments please from the pros appreciated?  Technical log data as follows:BT hub 1.jpg

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: Fibre (FTTC) suddenly slow download / upload after 3 years

Hi @haith 

If you have noise on a quiet line test you should (I think) report it as a telephone line problem rather than an internet problem - the copper line has to be sorted in order for the DSL to work properly.

0 Ratings