cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: Fibre install, will I need digging?

Go to solution

I believe KCI is something to do with the Activation of the Service.

Message 12 of 20

Go to solution

KCI = Keep Customer Informed. KCI 3 is when provisioning order completes.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution
KCI , keeping customer informed, KCI 2 assure , is a two stage install , normally because at survey the method of delivery dictated that it’s not possible to do all work on a single visit .

With a dwelling that’s ‘ built to curtilage hard’ the first stage is primarily the dig from the recently provided toby box at the curtilage , to the house wall , ( ideally a soft dig across lawn ) , if someone had all hard landscaping , then at this stage a discussion could be required about the route for the trench it will happen that some orders will be cancelled this point when the householder realises that their hard landscaping ( block paving , imprinted concrete, resin bonded ) driveway needs to be excavated because that’s the only route from toby box to house wall …the surveyor indicates the ‘best’ location for the toby box , but occasionally other buried services make that impossible or there was never a good location because there is no soft surface ( grass ) outside the consumers property, like when someone makes the entire front ‘garden’ hard standing for cars .

The first stage may install the cable from the CBT in the footway box , through the Toby box , across the garden to the house wall leaving the cable coiled for the second stage tech to complete on the contractual date
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

I guess that is why on my BT order I have two visits, and the first one being on the 27th stating its a visit for outside my property? 

The Toby box is literally just touching the edge of my property, is their no way they can have the cable come out from that and be above ground and run down the side of my property to my house

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution

They will not run fibre cable on the surface of a property 's drive.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution

What do you mean ?,

Is your property so close to the public footpath that the toby box is already almost touching the wall of your property ? , if it is a few cm’s between then obviously there is nothing to ‘dig’ to get to the house wall , this could be the case with a terraced property where the public footpath is right outside the house  , ( so no front garden area to get across ) in most domestic situations though , the toby box would be in the footpath on the public side of the front garden , in those cases , not least because it would be a trip hazard, they wouldn’t lay a cable overground across this area , it would have to be buried.
Perhaps you can explain more clearly how and what part of your property can already be almost touching the Toby box that’s in the public footpath , I have seen situations where an attached garage was very close to the footpath , the house set back from the garage and footpath, it’s acceptable to take the cable to the garage from the toby box  , then cable on wall to the house etc.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 20

Go to solution

Yes my property pretty much touches the public footpath and the toby box is on the closest part of it to my property almost touching my grass. I live in a Cul-De-Sac and their no wall between the pubic footpath and my property they just sort of start together.

Here is an image from google maps of above my property with a little red X that shows where the "Openreach" little black thing is on our street, every single house on our street has one of these outside their house which was put in 2-3 years ago.

tobybox.png

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution

I have no idea why you are so obsessing over this. Openreach do this day in day out and will dig a trench, install a duct and reinstate your garden. You cannot possibly expect a fibre cable to just lay on the ground unprotected.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution

I am just trying to get an understanding for two reasons, one being that I am still on contract with VM and trying to see how long it might take to get my BT internet up and running. The other being that I plan on doing some work on my front lawn next summer so I am also trying to see what options there is for laying  fibre.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

Go to solution

That image doesn’t really show any part of the fabric of the property on the footpath , it appears pretty standard situation in that the the toby box is in the footpath close to the curtilage and the properties ‘front garden’ is between the footpath toby box and the house wall , the image shows a car , so taking the car as a guide for distance I would think it’s approximately 6-7 metres, ( not centimetres ) so the cable would have be buried under the front garden …the cable cannot be simply laid overground.

Its the distance from the toby box to the house wall that’s important, I suspect what you were referring to as ‘only a few centimetres’  , is it’s  a few centimetres to the garden , it’s then at least 6m to the house wall.

TBH , if the prospect of your front garden being excavated is a deal breaker then obviously there is no point ordering, but FYI , if you currently have Virgin , this is exactly the same method they used when providing their services into your home.

0 Ratings