cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 21

Re: Frequent random disconnections, speed flip flopping excessively

Audible noise on a line is a symptom of an impairment, it could be a corroded joint or low insulation to earth or another circuit caused by water ingress in an underground joint.

It is not the noise per se that is causing your problem it is whatever the source of the noise is and needs to be investigated.

Message 12 of 21

Thank you for that info. Gotchu. So, if this next Openreach engineer #2 doesn't find anything like what you've mentioned... next step phone line engineer? 

After reading a bunch of forum posts, it seems it takes the phone line being very faulty for them to send a phone guy out? I don't think they'll believe me 😞

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 21

What you need is a diligent experienced engineer, regardless of phone or broadband.

Unfortunately such a person is about as rare as hens teeth these days.

Message 14 of 21

You're absolutely right. Not going to go into a big boring rant, but the last one tried to convince me it was ANYTHING but a fault outside. And I mean anything. 

I'll post here after the engineer comes tomorrow. 

Thanks for lettin me borrow your brain!

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 21

Back again. Three engineers down, fault still here, but worse.

Fine for a day or so, sitting at 45mbps, very little lag, few MS spikes. Net disconnects, struggles to reconnect. When it reconnects it sits at 25mbps, MS triples. Restart router 3+ times until it returns to "normal" function. Repeat daily.

Sometimes I'll get 2 days, sometimes 2 hours. Third engineer said there may be corrosion on the line... would be cool if they could find out? 

Is there no escalation for this, or do I simple take a 4th day off work for a 4th engineer? I don't mean to be dramatic, but I have had to work at a neighbour's house for their net, so I can afford bills and food. This fault is controlling my life. That's the truth.

Thanks for any miracle! 

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 21

Indeed, I keep saying this to the engineers. I don't know what else I can do at this point... can't afford to keep taking time off work for engineers. Argh. 

I don't know how else I can diagnose it. It's not my job. 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 21

I think you need mod assistance with this. Once they contact you it may take a few days to get back to you but will be your main contact until resolved.

I've flagged it for them.

Message 18 of 21

Engineer #4 just been here. He's the same guy as #2 visit that removed foliage and told me to see if that helped. It didn't. 

He did a "Lift & Shift" at the cabinet. Asked me to put an older router in and leave that on, as he thinks it's the router. (I have told him I've tried this already for various periods of time)

I reiterated that it's not so much the number of the speed, but the fact my speeds dropped by 15mbps overnight (months ago now), and continue to be limited. To me that suggests a fault, causing the DLM to aim for lower speeds and stability.

He said maybe BT is throttling me. I asked if that's even possible... he said yes, they used to do it all the time. Lol. 

He has also suggested radio waves or something may cause interference. He also raised an eyebrow at my 10/55 package. I don't know. 

He also said my Ethernet cable may be causing cross-talk or something like that, and to get a new cable to try. 

Told me it's not corrosion as all tests passed.

Oooh, also said games use a lot of bandwidth, so maybe that's causing the disconnects and instability...

Not sure what to do now, wait and see I guess! Just wanted to update anyone who has the patience to keep up with this!

Appreciate you all. 

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 21

See message 13.

I'll flag this to the mods, hopefully they can get a proper engineer to visit.

Message 20 of 21

I wish. I don't think they're able to pick and choose? Here's hoping, thank you. I think about your previous message often. 🙌🏻

0 Ratings