Re: Full Fibre 900 Speed Issues

Go to solution

Thanks for your help. I couldn't get a connection and had the message below:

pmatth_0-1667660783115.png

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 19

Go to solution

Try turning off the wifi on the laptop, it shouldn't do but it might be preventing the Ethernet connection working.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 19

Go to solution

BT's stay fast guarantee only covers the speed as delivered to the SH2. The speed your device receives from the hub, be it by WIFI or an Ethernet connection, is not covered by the SFG. And to be fair to BT that speed is determined by numerous factors beyond their control.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 19

Go to solution

I do understand that there can be plenty of things affect a wifi connection in a house; but if I'm connected by a short ethernet cable, with no wifi devices connected, and still getting 1/5 of the speed that I'm told is delivered to the SH2 then something seems wrong.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions & comments. I'll see what the engineer says in the visit in a couple of days.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 19

Go to solution

What speed does the router show for the WAN  connection to the ONT?  When I first installed my connection there was a problem with the ethernet cable between the ONT and the router WAN port - it was only running at a max speed of 100Mbps due to a faulty connection in the rj45.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 19

Go to solution

What category is the short ethernet cable you're using? Could that be the bottleneck?

One potential trap is people use a Cat 7 cable thinking it will be even faster than a Cat 6 or Cat  6a - but Cat 7 is not fully compatible with the RJ45s on the SH2 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 19

Go to solution

To conclude on this, it's surprising (at least to me) the difference that the device you connect to the SH2 can make.

I connected again but with a new laptop just received, rather than an old work laptop, and I'm now recording ~700Mbps via ethernet cable instead of the ~100Mbs seen previously. I guess the combination of an old machine, cluttered with all the corporate background apps, monitoring stuff etc was the bottleneck.

Via wifi on the laptop I now see ~400Mbs, which seems reasonable to me given the other factors that affect that. If I connect to wifi (sitting in the same place) with a Galaxy S10+ I see ~100Mbs. I find the difference surprising, but clearly that's not BT's issue.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments received. I'll go back to using the broadband now, and perform a few less speedtests!

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 19

Go to solution

but the sfg has you said should cover wifi as well as sh2 its the same as data to your mobile if it isnt connecting properly then you would not pay a bill if they cannot guarantee a connection then you should not have to be charged the price we are being charged 

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 19

Go to solution

NO ISP guarantees WiFi speed.

0 Ratings