Hi, I've recently upgraded to Full Fibre (FTTP), During the installation, the engineer was struggling to get a decent download speed and had to ring Openreach/BT a couple of times. Then the top download speed started to come through, but it wouldn't last very long. I've tried a PPPoE to the ONT box via Ethernet which also keeps giving great speeds of 511Mbps, but then also falls to 6.2Mbps at random points. What I have noticed, that during a low measurement, I run the official BT Speed Test via My BT website and also have a tab open to Speedtest.net. As soon as the BT test starts to run, it seems to "wake up" and Speedtest.net starts to show the maximum speeds before reverting back to the poor speeds about half an hour later. I've also noticed that my SH2 is showing that I've downloaded 33GB within the 22hrs it's been up - could BT see this and throttle the speed?
Solved! Go to Solution.
It's all running nicely now with no intervention whatsoever, so I upgraded from Full Fibre 500 to the 900 plan for an extra £1 per month and am getting a rock solid connection by ethernet to the SH2 of around 912Mbps with a highest of 926Mbps which is smashing as my Sky Q box is connected via this method. My laptop is getting 430Mbps via Wifi. Upload is about 112Mbps on all devices using all methods.
An BT Tech Expert came around yesterday and advised me that it still takes time for fibre connections to settle in and determine the best possible speeds which can take up to 10 days.
However, all is good.
The "BT expert" AKA a Qube engineer was talking through his posterior. 10 days is the standard for ADSL connections and the mythilogical one for VDSL. I suspect it just took a little longer than expected for your profile to be updated.
You are sorted now so that's the main thing.