cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

I have moved to 900MB but still suck with the speed around 500MB download

I upgraded from 500 to 900.

The speed to hub reaches the speed of 900, but the speed to device is still low under 500, which is the same as when I was in 500MB. 

now the result that I have had a speed test is below

Speed to Hub

928MB Download  51MB upload

Speed to Device

364MB Download 49MB upload.

The  BT call center staff said that they do not gurantee the speed to device, also the amount of the speed is enough for me with her own judge, though I expressed what I felt uncomfortable with the speed. 

I understand the lost to some extent, but over 50% of what they should be has been lost. 

What's more, I am uncomfortable with the web-based work (I have a Zoom meeting with 10~15 people every day) 

I requested the engineer visit but he did nothing that he can with it. He supposes that the hub need to be changed. 

I am not sure what he deals with it. because the hub is quite new one as my apartment is a new built building. 

I believe @JohnC2 can handle it and solve the problem. I have read his posting and found him the terminator of any problems regarding Internet connection. 

I hope John read my posting and hopely, there might be someone who can solve this issue. 

thank you very much 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: I have moved to 900MB but still suck with the speed around 500MB download

when was upgrade effective from?  it often takes a few days for speed especially upspeed to catch up as can be seen from other posts

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 16

Thank you @imjolly for your kind response

I upgraded last Monday 14th March

The speed was effective from on 16th March at 0:00 am 

The engineer visited on 19th March and did nothing without saying that all the signals work as they should be. 

I am waiting for a new hub to be delivered next Tuesday or Wednesday. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

BT will guarantee only speed between Exchange and ONT / BT SmartHub(2) and never any speed behind this point…

It’s virtually unmanageable for them to go further then SH(2), whilst they do not have control over your own setup wiring, etc etc.

Also, maximum possible speed will lean on wired connection, and never on WiFi. E.G., if you connect your pc/laptop with gigabit Ethernet port, over CAT 5E or CAT6 cable to BT SH2, it will be possible to see speeds 900+ Mbps. 

For example, at that point, I can see 1,2 Gbps on fast.com test…

At moment, you trying to use WiFi, you had a lot of problems and things to consider. Even BT SH2 is MU-MIMO, and in theory AC1733 on 5 GHz, this will never be possible speed, due lots of external factors.

BT SH2 unfortunately typically using only 3 channels on 2.4 GHz, and same, only 3 channels on 5 GHz band. That said, if many people around will be using BT Broadband you will end up with very very congested area, and real speeds will dropping down.

Also, WiFi overhead (e.g. loss of speed) alongside with IPv4 o IPv6  (when IPv6 has much bigger overhead) needs to be taken into account.

On my BT SH2 I am able to have maximum 350-400 Mbps download and 117 Mbps upload speed, whilst at very congested (many others BT access points), or up to 470 Mbps download and 117 Mbps upload, when now at new apartment, when building is still not such penetrated with WiFi access points.

And it’s somewhere maximum, what I shall realistically expect, despite my connection is FullFibre 900.

Moments, when several devices start to be demanding to SH2, speed radically dropping down..

For this reason, I have WiFi turned off on SH2, and using aftermarket TP-Link TRI BAND WiFi AP. That TRI BAND is very important…

Not only I can escape typical congested WiFi channels at 5 GHz WiFi, due I have available much more channels to choose, but third, still 5 GHz AP, with channels 100-124 giving me freedom to escape my neighbours totally.

Channels 52+ I can easily see 450-500 Mbps download

Channels 100+ maxing at around 620 Mbps on IPv4, and 570 Mbps on IPv6 band.

Yes, still short of 900 Mbps FF is capable, but it’s somehow normal, same as yours 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

thank you for your reply

shoep11_0-1648140137325.png

I am using hardwire CAT 5E(hub to the port on the wall) and 7E(computer to the port on the wall)

The speed is recorded just 4 Mbps download,,, 

How can it be possible?

Please help me,,,

I have tried to change my hub into the new BT hub that BT had sent.

but it is the same as the previous.

today the engineer was supposed to visit my house,  but incredibly he hasn't come.

and then I called BT but they said that they are sorry and arrange a new appointment again.

the visiting delays of BT is really common? I can not understand this situation, totally,,,,,,. 

Is the only one that I can do to buy a router or something like that by myself,,, ?

I am very disappointed and tired about it,,, 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Try connecting the hub directly to the ONT, not via the wall socket. The issue could be the ethernet network installed by the developer. BT would not be able to help with that.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Thank you for your kind response. 

I tried to connect directly my computer to OpenReach. 
The speed is around 50mbs, lower than the connection: Openreach-SB2 hub-computer(500Mbs). 

I suppose the capacity of hub is not enough to support 900Mbps  

23F716BD-C396-4D7D-B48C-88E7D24E044D.jpeg

I am very disappointed with the premium service. 
I would appreciate if anyone could hopefully help me 😭😭please. 

Also, I have no idea about the white one next to Openreach. It seems to be a modem. What is it for,,,? Could I solve the issue using the modem? 

The engineer had tried to connect the modem but failed. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Good after noon

today the engineer visited my house and check the ethernet signal.

On his laptop computer, around 900Mbps was shown up.

but still the speed on my laptop computer with ethernet is recorded around 500 Mbps.

So, I suppose that I need to change the setting on my computer. 

My computer is a very new one, a Mac book with M1 cpu ( I bought it around 2 month ago) 

I tried to split the SSID between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz in the website of BT administration.

but I failed as there is no "change button" on the page that should be according to other's instruction.

Please I beg you your intellegence and help with this issue...

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

If your Macbook is the only device you can confirm the problem then I think you will have to try one or more access points around the property which may help. You can buy an access point or try and make one from an old router.

Or get an ethernet to USB-C or Thunderbolt dongle and use a wired connection for when you absolutely must have 900MBPs. Also, you can get 240v mains power line adapters which will get you up to 900MBPs https://shop.bt.com/category/networking,network-devices,powerline-adapters/11301 You can have several of those around your property.

I just can't see you getting 900MBPs in a 'normal' house via wi-fi. As posted earlier you may get more than 500MBPs.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

If the hub is receiving 900 but your device is only receiving 500 there's an issue with your device or network setup.

Check Ethernet cable quality, hardware drivers/firmwares etc.
0 Ratings