cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 35

I just moved to BT Fibre 1 - speeds lower than acceptable

Greetings all,

I have just migrated to BT Fibre 1 with a Smarthub 2 (no discs installed yet, as the WiFi is currently covering the whole house), and after 2 visits by the techies - one of which was positive and the other not so much - I am left with a system that matches neither the upload nor download speeds. The Download is not far off, at 36Mbps but the Upload is, to me, unacceptably low at 5Mbps (everyday functions like Zoom or Teams do not run well at that upload).

These figures are repeated at every speedtest I do, with no traffic wobbles on the signal trace at any time, other than about 2Mbdown variation around 11pm at night.

Looking around the Community today, I stumbled upon the Broadband Availability Checker in a thread entitled Fibre 1 vs Fibre 2 Is there a difference other than price (page 2). I was unable to run it using a phone number as the line is Broadband only, so I followed the address checker. I have followed the test, and it appears to suggest - to my somewwhat uninitiated eyes - that I should be able to get at least 40Mbps down and well over 10Mbps Up.

If I could figure out how to insert the BB check Results, I would. All help will be most gratefully appreciated.

0 Ratings
34 REPLIES 34
Message 2 of 35

Re: I just moved to BT Fibre 1 - speeds lower than acceptable

@Skumba 

Speed test are only valid using an Ethernet connection directly to the home hub. If you are measuring over a wireless connection, then your are unlikely to get the full speed.

Use this test, with an Ethernet connected device https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Message 3 of 35

you also need to bear i mind that all the speeds quoted by BT and shown on dslchecker are connection speeds to your hub not download/upload speed to your devices

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 35

Good morning Gents ( @Keith_Beddoe and @imjolly ),

Thanks for the advice. I admitted to being a newbie - To BT and this Forum, not to the Internet.

The speeds I quoted were those obtained by the Openreach Techie, to my Hub, and on, to my Laptop, less than 1 metre away over BT-supplied Ethernet cable, using the link shown in your reply, @Keith_Beddoe. The speeds I see using speedtest.net are only fractionally lower than those obtained by Openreach, and no different on my mobile phone over WiFi.

In my first cry for help, I referred to the results of a check I did on the Broadband Line Checker that I found in another Thread / Discussion [ Fibre 1 vs Fibre 2. Is there a difference other th... - Page 2 - BT Community ] which you were a contributor to, @imjolly - I would love to be able to show you the result for my property but I have not, yet, figured out how to insert either a Word or pdf image of the result.

Currently, my officially produced down/up speeds do not meet the Fibre 1 guaranteed minima, and so my option is to join another Broadband supplier (Sky, TalkTalk, etc.) but how would I achieve the correct advertised speeds that, currently, BT cannot, or won't, provide when Sky or TalkTalk (etc.) use the same Fibre cabinets and lines?

Incidentally, and possibly of no consequence, the measured distance of my Masterplug from my local Green Box is 565metres (BT installation technician-derived information).

Im grateful for your help, and more would be even more appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 35

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

to post the results you need to use the camera in tool bar

how to upload photo.PNG

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 35

@Skumba wrote:

I would love to be able to show you the result for my property but I have not, yet, figured out how to insert either a Word or pdf image of the result.

You take a screenshot of the page and post it using the camera icon in the toolbar. Edit out any personal details before posting

Message 7 of 35

Thanks very much. Will try that right now.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 35

One point to note, if you have Digital Voice the QLT is pointless.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 35

Thanks @imjolly and @licquorice 

Broadband Availability Address Checker - 2022-01-19-1.jpg

My first attempt looks as if you might need an electron microscope. Good luck

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 35

no that's ok  you should get speed range 66/47mb but would be limited to 55 on fibre 1