cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Intermittent VDSL connection dropping.

I'm desperate for some advice or assistance please. I'm getting intermittent drops in my BB/WiFi connection. When it's working it's great, when it's down, everything, including my work computer has severe latency issues.  Since March this year alone I've had 2 Qube (SF) engineers & they're like hens teeth to get in my area. 2 OR engineers, 2 BT engineers & 3 new routers, now using a smart hub 2 & I've also had a new MK5 socket fitted.  None of which have resolved my connection problem.  I recently invested £130 to purchase a set of 3 BT Wholehome wifi discs, which are proving to be as much use as a chocolate watch.  There are only 12 houses in my street, we're all connected to the same exchange but with different providers.  I'm on FTTC  as FTTP isn't an option in my area yet & it's only my service that seems to be affected by the connection issues.  I could understand this better if I was clogging my BB but I don't have every device connected at the same time & because it works perfectly well some if not most of the time, I can't see what's causing the issue.  I worked for BT last yr for 9 months so have a bit of understanding on this.  If anyone has any suggestions, pls let me know. After reporting it to BT again today, the advisor has arranged for OR to send an engineer to fit an ONT modem to my wall tomorrow.  I wasn't aware these worked with FTTC, I thought they were only for FTTP connections.

Recent speed tests have returned these results

Ping -1053

Download - 0

Upload - 0

Service Quality - Poor

Yet,  30 mins later I've had

Ping - 21

Download - 8.8

Upload - 1.7

Service Quality Awesome

Screenshot_20221213_231608_Meteor.jpg

Screenshot_20221213_232112_Meteor.jpg

Any help or advice is much appreciated. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Intermittent VDSL connection dropping.

Try doing a full reboot of your router there are a lot of other factors that come into play when diagnosing intermittent issues. Line issues may be one however there could be congestion on your channel frequency, too many devices, faulty hub, signal being blocked etc.

Try rebooting the hub and doing a test through a wired connection.

For anything externally, your best bet is to go through the faults team.

Your BT router is programmed in the admin settings to already adjust for the optimum channel frequency and band however devices and the signal being blocked by TV's, walls is something that they cannot account for.

Let me know how it goes

Message 3 of 6

You're correct, an ONT is only for FTTP.

Next time it drops, try a quiet line test by dialling 17070, option 2. It should be near silent with no cracks or pops. If it's noisy report a phone fault, not broadband.

If it's quiet then you need to isolate whether your issues are with the connection or WiFi. I'd suggest connecting the router directly to the test socket in the master socket & connecting the laptop to the router by ethernet. That should provide the answer. If WiFi drops while the ethernet remains you know you have a WiFi issue. If both drop you know it's the line.

Many modern laptops have no ethernet connection. If yours doesn't you''ll need to ask your employer for a USB ethernet adapter & an long enough ethernet cable to reach the Hub from your workplace. Although it would may be quicker to source the yourself & both are inexpensive.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll give them a try. Had OR engineer out again today she's ruled out the line as being at fault. She did test my DNS cable which wasn't as strong as a spare she had, so she left me with it. The router also turned itself off when she was here & so a new one is on its way. Your assistance is very much appreciated.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Thank you for your reply. I have rebooted my router, doing a factory reset on it. That helped a bit but a new router is winging its way to me so we'll see how that works out.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

An iffy power supply can manifest itself as the router doing all sorts of weird things. When you get the new router make sure you use the new power unit that comes with it too. 

Also, have you tried using MyBT for the broadband test? It checks the broadband to the hub first (rather than the device you’ve requested the test on) And then checks speed to the device. So you get a comparison between the capability of the physical line to your house and then to your home WiFi / Ethernet connection.

0 Ratings