cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Internet connection dropping

Hi, our internet connection drops daily for a few minutes. We have a smart hub 2 and 150 full fiber connection to our property. I have ethernet and WIFI connections and approximately 30 devices ( Alexa, tapo, blink , mobiles tablets etc.).

I have contacted BT and they have sent  around Open reach and predictably they have found nothing although BT admits that my line does drop daily but say 2 drops are allowable. I transferred to BT service from sky FTTC as the same drops were happening and thought FTTP would resolve.

Please has anyone got any suggestions to have a reliable connection? I have been suggested by a friend  to purchase a better router which I would do if it works as I have a lot of devices but also I would like to keep digital voice as I have some of the BT digital voice phones.

Thanks

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Internet connection dropping

I'm having the same issue at present. Connection keeps dropping randomly but line checks say there is no issue. I've turned my Smart Hub 2 on and off, power cycled and factory reset to no avail.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Hi dan_rekt , yes this is very frustrating. I forgot to add that most of the time the SH 2 still has a blue ring lit although devices say no internet connection.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

I certainly don't consider two drops a day acceptable for FTTP.

Check the lights on the ONT (the white box that the hub connects to), PON should be on and it should be absolutely rock solid, even one momentary flash indicates a problem.

Likewise the LOS light should be permanently out and be rock solid, again even one momentary flash indicates a problem.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Thank you Les-Gibson, I agree I do not think two drops is acceptable especially as I decided to get FFTP to stop the dropping.
I will look at the lights on the ONT and see what they do.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

@niktre 

If the Hub is staying purple that suggests that the connection isn't dropping, so maybe it's just WiFi that is. The logs in the Hub should show any issues with the ONT connection dropping. If you have Tapo cameras, maybe set one up to constantly record the ONT to SD card. You can then see if the drops you experience are matched by any anomalies with the LEDs.  

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Hi rbz5416, thank you for your reply. Good idea about the tapo camera recording ONT. Unfortunately one of my connections that regularly drops is to a smart tv which has its connection via ethernet cable-ethernet switch-SH 2. This is what leads me to think it is either the SH2 which cannot cope with all devices running or from outside the property.
Thanks
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

If you had FTTC from Sky and now FTTP from BT and the broadband is dropping the same as it was with FTTC from Sky that would tend to rule out it being the broadband connection to your property or the router/hub that is being used, as the broadband is delivered by entirely different infrastructure and the router/hubs are different.

Because Full Fibre connections do not suffer from REIN/SHINE interference this would rule that out being a problem outside your property so in my opinion it points to the problem being inside your property that is causing the router/hub to drop the connection.

It may be an electrical problem/device within your property that is affecting the router/hub.

You should try to establish what electrical devices are either switching on or off when the drop outs happen and through a process of elimination by having the device turned off in turn to see if you can locate the problem device.

Assuming your network set up was the same with Sky FTTC as it is now with BT FTTP I would start with your Ethernet Switch to your TV even although it does not get turned on and off they can cause problems.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Hi gg30340, thank you for your reply.

I will try and investigate like you have suggested. My switch was a new tp link unmanaged poe but I may buy a netgear managed to see how that goes and maybe monitor.
What is everyone's thoughts on getting a higher end router after the SH 2 to handle all my devices ?
Thank you.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

I would always recommend a third party router over an ISP supplied one. Don't forget ISP supplied equipment is "one size fite all" and ferquently doesn't, especially high end useers.

NB you won't be able to use Digital Voice with a third party router, you will have to switch to an independant VoIP provider is homee phone is needed.

0 Ratings