cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Is full fibre for me?

Hi. 
Sorry…noob warning!

I’ve been excited for full fibre which has now just arrived in my area but I’m now wondering if it’s for me?

Our main phone socket is inside the front door but my wife has her office upstairs, at the other side of the house. Due to connectivity issues, she has a couple of things that have to be plugged into the router. 
My PS5 is downstairs, connected through a power link…works ok with Wi-Fi.

The main concern was my wife’s office so is there a work around or just stick with what we’ve got?

Thanks 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Is full fibre for me?

Where is the current router sited , downstairs near the ‘main’ phone socket or upstairs in the ‘office’ , if the router is downstairs, getting the FTTP ONT located downstairs near the existing socket will allow everything pretty much to be as it was , simply the router plugged into the ONT instead of the master phone socket…if the router is upstairs and you have an extension cable from the master socket to an upstairs socket , then locating the ONT next to the master socket will not necessarily be the best location.

Generally , if you want the ONT somewhere different to where the master socket is , it can be done , within limits , for an upstairs location ( for example ) a cable would be run on the external wall from ground to first floor and then through a wall , but in your example this may be the wrong side of the house , expecting internal cabling along skirting and door frames, up the stair well and into a upstairs room may be refused by the installer , but it seems ( especially if you get an OR employee rather than a contractor ) they will try to place the ONT where it’s required, rather than what’s easiest for the installer.

Message 3 of 8

Full fibre will eventually be the primary available broadband connection so if it's available to you already then go for it.

You can within reason say where you want your ONT unit to be installed, the device that converts light into electrical signals that the Smart Hub 2 can understand. You can continue to use powerline adaptors or a mesh WiFi system or wire up the devices using ethernet.

Message 4 of 8

Thanks for the reply.

Our main socket is near the front door and the router is in the upstairs spare bedroom/office where my wife works 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Presumably there is a copper extension cable between the master socket and an extension socket upstairs where the router is plugged in, this won’t be reusable to locate the ONT upstairs, so if the ONT is sited near the master socket ( whatever the eventual location of the ONT , it needs to be a near power socket, preferably a double socket if the router  is to close to the ONT )  you probably would have to use wireless for the upstairs, or provide a wired ( Ethernet cable ) or powerline type solution yourself .

If the ONT is to be located upstairs, as discussed, where the optical cable from ‘outside’ appears on the external wall , it would be ran up that wall to the 1st floor then enter through a wall into the room and the ONT connected there.

Message 6 of 8

I stand corrected…I wrongly assumed the main socket was where I thought as that is the main phone. Sorry..,I didn’t really understand.

We have BT marked cabling going into the living room where the TV/Sky connects.

offfice is still upstairs though 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Ultimately it doesn’t matter ,if FTTP is ordered ,  the cable from outside regardless of it’s from a pole or underground will terminate on an external wall at a CSP ( customer service point ) from there an ‘internal’ optical cable ran to the location of the ONT , which can but doesn’t have to be where the existing copper pair NTE is , but obviously expecting the installer will run ‘miles’ of cabling between the CSP and ONT is unrealistic, but if what is desired is feasible they generally try to accommodate , at least that’s the usual response from those that have ordered ( OR ) BT FTTP 

Message 8 of 8

Hi folks,

Thanks for all your previous replies. 
An engineer was round today and we’ve just gone wireless and we’ll see how my wife’s work set up goes.

With a speed test, we’ve peaked at just over 400Mbps.

We had the router upstairs and a booster disc downstairs and they’ve swapped positions. 

One noob question though…I had my PS5 connected by way of a power line adapter before.  The booster disc works fine upstairs but when I plug the Ethernet cable from the power line adapter into it, it stops ..er, boosting, and flashes orange. Why would that be?

The Wi-Fi to the PS5 has been about 75-90Mbps. Should I expect more?

thsnks again 👍

0 Ratings