cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Is the External Cable always Black with FULL fibre installation ?

I would like the cable and ONT box to be on the first floor of a townhouse entering through the rear of the building. But I don’t want a black cable running round three sides of the house. The house has white render. 

Nor do I want the box and router on the ground floor  inside front as I don’t have power near the access point and anyway my tv works best when wired to router and I definitely don’t  want old fashion cabling running around the house. 

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Is the External Cable always Black with FULL fibre installation ?

How does the existing phone line enter the property as fibre normally follows that route

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

It was built in during construction and comes in the front and has hidden wiring to sockets on all floors. I currently don’t use the master socket but another socket in the lounge to connect the router. Works ok so not desperate to change to the limited benefit of FF if I end up with ugly wiring inside or out.

Could they connect to the existing network? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

@EAST24x wrote:

Could they connect to the existing network? 

No

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Does the existing wiring only terminate in phone connections, or are there ethernet connections as well?  If the latter, then that wiring could be used to connect the Hub to the new ONT - the two can be separated by up to 100m of Cat5E cable.

Also, is your property served overhead from a pole, or underground (it sounds like the latter)?  As @imjolly said, the fibre will typically follow the same route - however, it will need to connect to a new box called a CSP on the outside wall of your house at ground floor - inside this box the external grade fibre from the pole/duct is spliced to the internal grade fibre that will run to your ONT.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

TBH , your ‘demands’ are such thats is unlikely that you would ever be able to come to a workable solution with the installation engineer, if the current service enters at the front of the building, but you want the cable to entry to be at the rear and won’t accept cable on the wall to get to the rear of the property from the front , then that’s really a insurmountable issue , it’s not really worth ordering FTTP in these circumstances, it simply wastes Openreach time as well as your own.
Message 7 of 16

JOOI, does the external fibre that Openreach use take being painted - or does it flake off quickly?

Any recommendations for best type of paint to use?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

I agree. Not worth the hassle to switch. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

The newer Dex Bond Inside - Out Cable comes in 3 shades of Black.

black, Dark Black and Really Dark Black.

EZ Bend Cable, what they originally used for BFT comes in Black, White and Brown.

It’s still available and is used in MDU’s, although during Build Phase from the UFS Box to the Break Out Box. They wouldn’t use it for the Customer Installation 

It would be hit and miss if the Installer actually carried EZ Bend Cable, chances are they wouldn’t.

Message 10 of 16

"does the external fibre that Openreach use take being painted - or does it flake off quickly?"
I've no experience of painting fibre optic cable, but I've painted (oil based paint) black "shotgun" satellite cable that runs around my house and this hasn't flaked off in 10 years. I can't imagine the plastic covering of fibre optic cable will be any different.
Please let us know if you ultimately persuade Openreach to route the fibre optic cable around to the back of your house - even if its just the standard black cable.
I'm in a similar situation that will need such a routing if/when I finally go to FTTP!
0 Ratings