cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Moving to a new build can you get FTTP fitted I am positive we are in a FTTP area?

Hi we are currently waiting for our new build to be finished its around 3 or 4 streets away from out current house.

we currently are lucky enough to have FTTP, on talking to the builders its not something that I worried about as I was under the impression that FTTP would be a given for a new build nowadays.  But it seems that when they contacted BT they got quoted a really high figure for FTTP to be fitted this might have something to do wioth only building 9 houses on the plot.  The builder said they got told by them that we might get it installed for free as the area had been upgraded in the last year or 2. Now the postcode has become live it seems that we will not be able to get FTTP.  I have attached images of the BT broadband availability checker of my current street the first image. 

Lgreen9_0-1674588807764.png

The second image is for the house we are moving to, from what i can tell from this FTTP is available on demand if anyone can tell me what that means. 

below this is a house using the same cabinet to be supplied but they can get FTTP? 

Lgreen9_1-1674588933514.png

This image is probably much more relevant this is the house from the development that was done around 10 years before on technically the same land our house is being built on. 

Lgreen9_2-1674589284394.png

Thanks for reading I am unsure what a lot of this table means anyone could help, please?

or if there is a way of paying for it? 

I dread to imagine life with slow internet again!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Moving to a new build can you get FTTP fitted I am positive we are in a FTTP area?

The housing development company needs to work with Openreach to incrementally build and extend the full fibre network onto the new site.

https://www.openreach.com/building-developers-and-projects/fibre-for-developers

With extra properties the network needs to be extended and capacity planned for, so it's not like there's nothing to do a d should be available. The developer needs to register the development site and plans with Openreach.

Message 3 of 4

Re: Moving to a new build can you get FTTP fitted I am positive we are in a FTTP area?

FTTPod is a very expensive business product costing tens of thousands of pounds.

BT don't supply FTTP infrastructure, that is done by Openreach. If your developer didn't liaise with Openreach to provide FTTP then there is very little you can do.

Message 4 of 4

Openreach offer free FTTP on developments of 20 or more , 1-19 plots the developer is expected to pay something towards costs , so if they were not prepared to pay , it won’t be provided.
You could enquire about a community funded project, or FTTPod , although expensive, it’s relative, if it were £8k ( for arguments sake ) that may be a fraction of the cost of the property, if exploring FTTPod , you need an ISP that can arrange it , BT Consumer don’t offer this Openreach product, but in a nutshell, you ask an ISP that does FTTPod, they get a ballpark figure from Openreach, if you are tempted, you pay a non refundable deposit to get the actual figure , still want to proceed, you pay the ISP, and OR build network to your address
0 Ratings