cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

New FTTH install cables.

Go to solution

Hello, Next week I'm supervising  my Daughters FTTH install while she's away and because of the lack of suitable power sockets there's only one place the engineer can install ONT unit which is luckily where the existing pstn cable comes into the property but the red Cat5 cable BT has delivered is not long enough to run from the ONT to the Smart hub2 which is at the moment in the best place for good wifi coverage throughout the house.

So rummaging though some of my old stuff BT have sent over the year I've come across an unwrapped 10m STP ethernet cable with the code G9213ZC030-22 on the polythene wrap - the questions are  1 will this work OK from the ONT to the Smart hub instead of the one BT has sent and 2 do you think the engineer will be happy to use it ?

Sorry I can't find where to upload a pic.

Cheers,

Del.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: New FTTH install cables.

Go to solution

You can use any Cat5e upwards cable. The colour is irrelevant. The engineer should have no problem using it.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

@djh22

Amazon show the same thing, and say its a CAT5e cable, although I would be surprised, as the one I have is quite thin.

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks gg30340.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks Keith, yea that's the one and thinness of the cable is the bit that worries me,I think I got mine with an old YouView box so not sure if it will work from the OTN to Hub. I guess I'll have to source another cat5 cable from somewhere or maybe join 2 shorter ones with the old rj45 connectors.

Best,

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

Give it a try but be prepared to have to use an alternative,  You can pick them up cheap enough from ebay.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks pippincp, I agree, just trying to make sure all goes smoothly on Thursday.

Cheers.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

@djh22 

I have one of those cables and tried to use it to feed a POE wireless access point, and found that only four wires were actually connected.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

I wouldn't join two cables. The cable you have is a Cat5e cable. The STP refers to the type of shielding that it has.  It should work OK but if you are worried about it you can get a 10 meter Cat5e Ethernet cable on line for about £10.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies, I think I'll order a new 10m cat5 cable just in case.

Cheers.

0 Ratings